Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
gas prices
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
Prices, I fear, will never come down. The planet is at near maximum production capacity, while consumption increases exponentially.

Alternate sounces looking better all the time.

I was driving to Richmond and back last week, moving my Daughter into a house for college. Towing a small trailer with a VUE. Prices went up .25 in the days I spent there... but NO ONE on the highway (except me) was going more slowly!? I went 55-58 mph, saved about 20% on gas, because my Saturn VUE would drop into overdrive... it amazes me that still EVERY other car on the road was exceeding the speed limit, usually excessively.

A friend makes biodiesel... he has a small group of folks who buy the methanol and lye in bulk, and in quanities of only 50 gallons it costs him about .85 a gallon to make. I'm going to join the group this fall, as I drive my VW TDI 96 miles per day to.from work. Sure, it gets 53 mpg on the highway, but a buck a gallon is a **** of a lot better than 3...

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John & Irene:
Well, we're off for five weeks in England in a few days, Irene is a Brit, I'll let you know the petrol situation across the pond when we get back. We may do some side trips to France, Spain, Germany, Holland and/or Norway. Whatever we do, I'll at least get a good grasp on what the rest of the World thinks of the direction our country is taking. It seems people will define the Dubya/War/Gas situation according to their own beliefs, because semantics create preception, and preception is reality.. Cheers, John

[This message has been edited by John & Irene (edited August 20, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by John & Irene (edited August 20, 2005).]

Hope you folks have a great trip,&enjoy it for us to:

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Barth Regency 34ft. 8.3 Cummins 300 hp.
Spartan K2 MM.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
61 posts so far. What's really going on here? If we drive the average 5000 miles per year in our Barths, and we think of $2.00 a gallon as OK, but $2.50 as over the edge, we're talking about an extra $250 a year. So it can't be money, at least not our own. What are we all so upset about? I think it has something to do with our leaders' apparent inability to face world and national problems in a way that represents the basic values and morals the majority of Americans still hold to be true.And I think it has to do with the "more isn't enough" mentality that has put our country into the status of debtor nation, and that includes all of us that are in debt over our heads. So, what to do? Take stock, try to value the simple things in life, don't spend more than you make, set aside a little for old age, and once in a while, get in your Barth and take it to a lake and sit and enjoy a beautiful sunset and roast a marshmellow. And vote for people who think like you do, if you can find any.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Humbojb - I think you nailed it.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Humbojb gets a lot better milage than me. At 7mpg it works out to 357.14285 bucks. Other than that, I can't disagree with a thing he said.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Report This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey Dan
I only go 50 and free wheel going down hill!! Just kidding but I do keep it around 60 and the Nology system and Malory ignition helps.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
P.S.
It's Jim and Tere

posted Hide Post
Better recalculate at $3.00 per gallon.

Posts: 25 | Location: Grand Prairie TX USA | Member Since: 03-18-2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
All I remember is when Dubya first got in gas was around a dollar and a few cents a gallon,, now it's around three dollars a gallon..... I do remember telling "Super Dave" that Dubya's policies in the middle east would run prices up to $3.00 a gallon and he told me I was stupid and not to send him any more of my "Left Wing" Idiotic stuff!.. Well guess what? So now, when Irene and I want to take a trip , instead of filling up our tank for $75.00, it costs $200 plus....My pension is still the same, now what?
Not so cheerful,,John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
This is what this post has become. A hotbed of discord. I think now would be the time to add something else.

Any suggestions on making more money, getting better gas mileage or money saving tips would be better.

I will start... Check the tire psi. The easiest way to make the fuel go farther with no money out of pocket. Unless it cost you a quarter to air up at the gas station.

Stop idling your rig. If you don't need to use it shut it off. The generator does not need to be on 24/7 so turn it off. Buy a push or drill thru thermostat for your refrigerator if you only run it for that.

Any engineers who want to take my idea here's one. Make something that will start the generator only when it's called for. Low voltage, Refrigerator starting to warm up, Someone turned on the light switch. Hook it up to the starter. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Let's get some more post like these before someone's feelings get hurt.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Use Diesel treatment & get more miles per Gal.

------------------
Spartan K2 MM.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Fuel for thought, a very interesting read. It looks like this cost the gov. a pretty penny so check it out.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/gasave.htm

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
OK here's one. Instead of Suzy and I going up to Talledega by ourselves, we take along some extra friends. We can sleep 4 comfortably and a couple more can pitch a tent alongside. We split the gas 6 or 7 ways, have a ball sharing the racing commeradery, and the next year we're fighting off more folks who have heard how great a trip it is. We've been doing this since the Cruise America days and it gets better every year.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Report This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I took a quick look at the site Bill suggested and one thing I saw was that going from 55mph to 65mph increased fuel consummption 20%. That probably is for cars but this weekend, I'm going over to Tennessee and I'll keep it at 55 and see what happens. I usually get 9.5 to 9.8 on the flat at 60/62. I never use the cruise control because when it kicks in, it often opens up the other two barrels and I can keep it going just fine with the gas pedal.

posted Hide Post
Boy I'm glad higher fuel cost is not slow down our "GOVERNMENT" and their traveling: Gas 2.49/9: Diesel 2.59/9 We paid 2.94/9 for diesel in Needle,Cal. last year.

------------------
Spartan K2 MM.

[This message has been edited by bubbiebarth2 (edited August 24, 2005).]