Search
Notify
Tools
gas prices
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I notice that the 40 foot Barth on EBay has 37 bids and it's still under $50K. Gas/diesel prices are not keeping that one from selling. I am thinks someone one is going to get a gooooood deal.

"But wait that's not all" there is a nice looking 30 footer too. How much do you think that will go for.

By the way, I received my RV pro magazine today and in May RV shipments were down 3.4% with 31,500 units shipped vs. 32,600 last year. But for the ytd to may a total of 163,200 units were sold up 1.2% from last year.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the 40 footer has had a lot of interest, for sure. The last 30 minutes will tell the WHOLE story on whether a great deal is to be HAD. I wish Glen the best. He has done a nice job of answering the questions. The listing lacks a 3/4 photo shot showing the entry door though. I am guessing high 50's.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Report This Post
Picture of thomfeit
posted Hide Post
On our recent trip from Chicago to Ft. Myers, added fuel 3 times - each about70 gallons. Flying J in northern Indiana $2.19, Flying J in southern KY - $2.28, Citco at northern FL - $2.48 (counting the $.10 discount for cash.

Monday we head out for St. Augustine FL - current price in Ft. Myers is $2.49 at Hess - still lower that unleaded by up to 15 cents a gal.

Thom

Posts: 44 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Member Since: 06-19-2005Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
To follow up on what Dave said, I just read an article in the August issue of Motor Home magazine. A writer had read several articles that said that the "real" crisis in world oil supplly will kick in in 2010, world oil supplies will be severely strained by 2030 and almost totally diminished by 2050. Depostits that weren't econonically feasible will be explored because fuel prices in the $10 to $20/gallon range will allow it. The U.S. motor home industry will most likely downsize like Europe is already doing and alternative power sources for motor homes will be developed. But, as for all of us that love our old 8mpg Barths, well, I don't plan on it being my nest egg to help with my social security pension.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I just installed a "Tornado" and a fuel line "Magnetic Tube" - no 2 Tornado's and 2 Magnetic tubes -

Yeah, That's it, that's the ticket...

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Hey all! Just got my pc back from the doctors and am catching up on lost time. One thing this thread didn't mention is that the increase in fuel prices will eventually lead to an increase in ALL prices. Everything we consume is delivered or processed or otherwise connected to fuel in some way. We just haven't seen the full effect of these grotesque price hikes yet.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
One wonders should prices per barrel return to levels 1/2 of present or even less what will be the outcome? There will be those that think, WELL, THEY KEPT BUYING AT 2.50 SO WHY REVERT BACK TO 1.50? We will see folks coming up with ways to buy less fuel, but I am not sure such will have the impact of reducing prices. If the volume is not there they may keep prices high so as to retain their profit dollars. It AIN'T going to be easy for them to give up the extra profits.

We will see.

Dale

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Re: Danny's post above - We live in a retirement area in Washington State, on the Olympic Peninsula. Everything we buy comes here by truck through Tacoma, or Seattle.

As a couple of ancients, we eat out a lot, and there's already been a sharp rise in restaurant meals, that's showing up in groceries. too. We downsized everything (except the Barth) and moved to town a few years ago, so none of this really pinches us yet.

I do feel sorry for the younger folks who comute long distances from depressed logging communities further West, to work at low-wage jobs in our recently-arrived box stores & chain restaurants. There's little affordable housing here for them, so they have to commute.

I'd wager that within a year, or so, some of them who were happy to find work that got them off welfare, will be forced back on the dole because they can't afford the commute.

And I wonder about all those California folks who bought (relatively) cheap houses up around Lancaster & Victorville, and suffer the long commute to L.A. Their lifestyles are changing already, for sure.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anyone see the made for TV movie Oil Storm. They were priming us for this. In the movie gas went to six or eight( I don't remember) before it landed at four dollars.
quote:
Originally posted by humbojb:
Regular gas hit $2.50 per gallon in Charlotte, NC. today. I know others are saying it's not that much if you only drive 3000 to 4000 miles a year. But I'm wondering what the rest of our compatriots have to say. We've cancelled a trip already because of gas prices. Those of us on fixed incomes have to cut back somewhere every time something else in our budget goes up. If gas is 25 more dollars a month, that means we have to spend $25 less on something else. And Exxon's first quarter profits were $7billion! Where will it all end?

Posts: 31 | Location: crestline,ohio | Member Since: 02-27-2005Report This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Wsa planning on taking the Barth to Auburn Indiana from Chicago area for the Kruse Auto Auction the end of the month $120 gas, $20 tolls, $40 parking in an open field, $? gas to run genny. I think we will just leave at 5AM and get 30MPH with the car and $6 in tolls. It would have been nice but the cash can go for our trip to South Carolina end of Sept.

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Report This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Danny said "One thing this thread didn't mention is that the increase in fuel prices will eventually lead to an increase in ALL prices. Everything we consume is delivered or processed or otherwise connected to fuel in some way. We just haven't seen the full effect of these grotesque price hikes yet."

I have raised my mileage rates as a result of the increase in fuel prices. The cost for most items in the transportation/ trucking sector is tied in to the cost of oil. I have been told by the powers that be at JB Hunt that each .05 cent increase in fuel cost there company a million dollars more per month. Can you imagine?

The simple truth that will hold true is "if it cost me more then it will cost you more!" This may lead to inflation as everyone will be forced to follow suit. Smaller companies will go out of business and other companies will be saddled with there debt.

I have instructed the wife to keep a close watch on accounts receivables and to start cutting companies off that do not pay promptly. I have been self employed since 1987 and for the first time I am starting to feel a little uneasy. I try not to be hard nosed, I can count the number of companies that have went banckrupt owing me money on one hand. I just don't like the way fuel went up so fast.

The transportation industry is the largest sector in our economy employing more people then anything else. This will have a dramatic affect on all of us.

Here we are talking about fuel for our Barth's when this winter there will be people not able to fuel up there home heating oil tank. I know this because my relatives are trying to lock in fuel rates and the local distributors don't know where or when it will stop so some have suspended there lock or cap plans.

I hope things turn around but I doubt it. As with anything time will tell.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt things are going to POT, so to speak. Remaining POSITIVE is ALWAYS a good thing. Adjustments need to be made, but it AIN'T smart cutting your head off when your arm hurts. We are SLOWING our speed and making less trips into town. Big SUV's will probably take a hit. We are seeing at Avis more customers asking the milage a car provides compared to the SUV they normally rent. Avis has trimed back the percentage of SUV's they are buying. The CROSS-OVER vehicles are being spoken for more and more each day, and Avis has a lot coming in to handle the demand.

We will SURVIVE.

Dale

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
It's all about change and our willingness to do so--permanently. I live a mile from work and will break out the bycycle when the morning temp is 70 or below. We'll spend more time at home and organize our trips to stores so we can do a bunch of things at one time. And if we buy another car, it will be because it get 40mpg rather than 25. Why buy a new one if it isn't any better than the old one? We'll talk to friends and family on the phone and write letters and emails. We'll not only survive, we'll thrive! And by "we", I mean all of us. And one day, Saudi Arabia and all the others who operate by greed and greed alone, will find out what it means to be the lowest on the food chain.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So I say, LET'S ALL JOIN HANDS, BE POSITIVE, THINK SMART, LOVE EACH OTHER, WORK THRU THIS, and LOVE OUR COUNTRY.

OK? OK!

Dale