Reply To This Topic

Interior question from NewB
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Barth BrokeMe
posted
Greetings, all.
I'm Renzo
and I'm an Alumi-holic
I've lurked here a long time(and on the Airstream forums)
because I'm intrigued by the concept of an RV that has an all-metal structure(instead of luan and staples)I recently came across a '79 Barth 24(dont know the Model name). Because it's in my modest price range(I'm retired,no pension-just VA benefits)of course it needs work. The light mechanical needs I can do as I've twisted wrenches since a teen. This one has some interior 'issues' that I'd like some opinions on. Water leaks around the roof vents have caused de-lamination. I've built my cabin and a few Ukulele so Im no stranger to woodworking, but dont know where to start on this project (if I buy it)I'll try to attach some photos to show the damaged areas. Thanks in advance

Posts: 6 | Location: Sandy Eggo | Member Since: 11-07-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barth BrokeMe
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm doing this wrong, but I can only post 1 photo per post. I'll look into a PhotoBucket account

Posts: 6 | Location: Sandy Eggo | Member Since: 11-07-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barth BrokeMe
posted Hide Post
more

Picture of Barth BrokeMe
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the interior will have to be stripped out, then leaks addressed(probably vents) and new wall/ceiling attached. While I'm that far, should I install foam insulation?
Thanks for reading this l o n g post.

Picture of Barth BrokeMe
posted Hide Post
last one

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Photobucket is not working that well lately. You can attach one photo on each post.

Looks like vent leaks for sure. If you do strip the interior I would definitely think about foam insulation. More labor intensive than costly. Good luck! Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Renzo, Thank you for your military service.
Consider that most interior water damage is usually worse than meets the eye. Insulation is always a good idea. Insulation pays dividends in cold weather and hot weather. Interior work is less technical than mechanical repairs.
On pictures, Photobucket has not worked for years! Direct upload is what works for now. If you are using windows please try the Paint program to resize your photos to a maximum of 768 pixels in either direction. If you are on apple iPhone medium is generally a good size to try. For other platforms on picture posting questions try asking here.
You probably already gathered enough information on BaRTH to see Barth will be a good investment in fun and enjoyment. Although if you are planning on fixing up to sell you will in most cases loose money. Good luck.

Kevin

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post