Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

454 engine cooling
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted
I am the proud owner of a Barth 25, when I found it 2 months ago it was stored for years and covered with moss, one of the roof vents was broken and the inside was wet and nasty.

Surprised me but it cleaned up pretty nice, floor is sound and even the carpet cleaned up. I think most of the inside is original and I hope to keep it that way.

Old owners really were Rube Goldbergers and I doubt the electrical system of the P 30 will ever recover fully.

So there was a room A/C in the back window also.

I have replaced that with a roof model, rebuilt the carb, replaced the power steering pump, new alternator, fuel pump and air springs. I now hate all the Chevy engineers.

Now a few questions:

I towed my bass boat, my new engine temp gauge said the old 454 was pretty hot over 100 C. Do I need to add electric fans to the radiator?

The previous owner has coated the roof with an asphalt based product that has cracked, so they covered a lot of the roof over the asphalt with aluminum tape and it has aged poorly. I have fixed the leaks using Flexseal but would like to repair it back to just paint. Did the roof aluminium other than the seams ever give up on these?

What else might I need to check before departing on a tour?

Thanks Duane

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Barthmobile!

If you haven't already, flush and refill the cooling system. Use a brand name coolant - but avoid Dexcool, as there have been many issues with it.

Clean the radiator fins (do NOT use a pressure washer), the aux tranny cooler (if fitted), and the A/C condenser fins.

Having sat that long the thermostat could be stuck, so replace it and check the lower radiator hose - it shouldn't be soft or spongy.

Engine oil and filter, transmission fluid and filter, and differential fluid should all be changed.

Repack the front wheel bearings and lube the chassis.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty

Differential, transmission and wheel bearings, are things I overlooked. Good points thank you!! I did replace the tires.

Thanks

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Check the operation of the fan clutch. You will here it kick in. sounds like a jet engine. As much air the factory fan pulls you should not need any electric fans.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Do you have a transmission temperature gauge? Pulling a trailer really loads the trans. Since it does not lock up, the extra slippage creates heat.

Any transmission heat is carried to the radiator, where the trans cooler adds heat load to radiator. (Engine oil cooler does also.)

The trans fluid on my Regal heated up quickly when towing or on hills. I installed separate coolers for both the trans and the engine oil cooler, seems to help. There is also an electric fan for the trans cooler.

Stop and go traffic in 90's temps is the real killer now. Engine speed slow, trans lugging at every light, no air flow. Electric fans help then.

100C is not too hot. Around 110 is about the limit for me. 50/50 glycol will boil about 130C with 15 lb pressure.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So thanks to all of you for the advice. I just added to my replace list a new master brake cylinder. I do love the damn thing anyway.

My 25 is a glassnose, were most of them? Thanks again, Duane

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The "glassnose" is commonly called the "Euro", and it was uncommon altogether, but less uncommon on the 28's. Rare on anything else.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
The Euro/glassnose were built in the early 80's (81 82 83) between round headlights and rectangular headlights of 84 up.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
The "glassnose" is commonly called the "Euro", and it was uncommon altogether, but less uncommon on the 28's. Rare on anything else.
As I learn "well said Captain". There was never a BAD Barth!

Cheers

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I am about to try the picture bucket thing, but changed my avatar to a picture of my 25 Euro, Thanks for the information all!!!!

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
There is always something, to change or repair on this old beast.

When I changed the alternator, I removed the old R-12 compressor and brackets, it was not functional. I have looked at the compressor and it does seem to pump when I turn it by hand. So have any of you ever had the refrigerant changed to R-134A and used the P-30 dash mounted cooling system with success?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Tom K known here as "Tom and Julie" has the Air Conditioning Upgrade you need. Search his posts or send him a Private Message.

Good Luck and Keep COOL!

Kevin

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post