Tools
Reply To This Topic

RV Ins
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted
Can anyone tell me if they have Gmac RV ins. thru Good Sam Club or if it is good?

I have been checking out RV Ins. companies and the above looked fairly good with the part if you don't use it you don't pay Ins for it while parked in your driveway.

I received notice from my RV Ins Company that they are no longer covering RVs. I don't know if they mean in Florida or all over - anyway I have to find RV Ins.

Thanks

Jim

1985 Barth Regency 35ft
8.2 Detroit (225hp) MCC chassis

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the answer to THAT question, but definitely get a quote from Progressive. They are by far the most affordable (in most states) for RV coverage, and have excellent roadside assistance options which is important for these big ol' rigs. Even though the policy is year-round, it's still cheap and I kinda like having the constant coverage so I get the RV out for "exercise" on short drives even during the off-season.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Scotty,

I asked the question to GMAC(GoodSamClub) "what if I need to get air in my tires or go for an oil change etc.", the answer was then you will pay for that months ins.
I was not impressed with that. The agent said you have to notify us when you wish to take it from your driveway and then you pay for a 30 day block.

Thanks

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My experience with Progressive is
1 They're cheaper than anyone else.
2 They will write a stand-alone policy on your RV.
Never had a claim or reason to find out about their service, so I'll defer to others on that topic.
Also, I never lay up the coach so I keep it insured full time.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Never had a claim or reason to find out about their service, so I'll defer to others on that topic.

I can speak on that, didn't think to earlier. I've had two claims with them, one for a windshield replacement (large cracks from rock chips) and one for an awning replacement (nearly ripped off while driving in a windstorm). You deal with a local Progressive office, and both my experiences were overall very positive. Initially I received conflicting information from Progressive reps on whether or not the glass was zero deductible, and it resulted in substantial repair delays. However, I logged this concern on their website and they had a specific option to receive a call from a supervisor, which I did. Upon explaining the situation, the regional manager who called me was quite apologetic and waived my deductible completely. That's what customer service is supposed to be! I highly recommend them as a result.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:

I can speak on that, didn't think to earlier. I've had two claims with them, although the repairs were done at the same time (windshield and awning replacement).

You deal with a local Progressive office, and both my experiences were overall very positive. Initially I received conflicting information from Progressive reps on whether or not the glass was zero deductible, and it resulted in substantial repair delays. However, I logged this concern on their website and they had a specific option to receive a call from a supervisor, which I did. Upon explaining the situation, the regional manager who called me was quite apologetic and waived my deductible completely. There were some other delays (partially the repair shop's fault) that I took up with the local manager, and he did everything in his power to speed things up there too. At one point he sent one of his adjusters to drive 45 miles to the shop from a different office, just so he could talk to the shop manager in person (instead of playing phone tag) and get the repairs finalized.

Two good examples of what customer service is supposed to be! I highly recommend them as a result.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
I would recomend them also. I have had a couple of claims and they treated me very well! The price seems fair and with an older coach like mine some companies are reluctant to insure you.

The two reps who took care of my claims were great and did a follow up to make sure I was happy with the service. ( I was )

Ed.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the replies.

I did get an online quote from Progressive and it was better then all so far, however with that said, I will be going to a local agent with it for verification and explaination.

I just received a follow up phone call from Progressive and they seem to be very good people to deal with.
I told her I was holding off for right now to compare other quotes and she did not hard sell and said that it is always good to compare.

Thanks again,
Jim

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
local agent with it for verification and explaination.

Probably a good idea but, FWIW: I've had stellar service and I went company-direct with them.

I've only had one small car claim (hit-n-run) and that was handled without one hitch - no haggles, just have it fixed wherever I want, and they had a rental car waiting for me at the bodyshop.

Recently, MD-MVA transposed my Barth VIN and sent me a notice of insurance lapse, along with a warning of fines & daily fees until it was paid.

I called the Progressive 800 number because I knew my coverage was current. The phone rep verified it in a nanosecond, asked me to stay on the line while he set-up a conference call with MVA. He explained it all to the sterotype snippy MVA rep and faxed confirmation during the phone call.

When all of the issue was addressed, he asked that I hang up, but he was staying on the line to "have a discussion" with the MVA employee's supervisor regarding customer service.......

It don't get better that that! Big Grin

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And for what it's worth, I do NOT have Progressive for either of my other two vehicles... just the RV. For whatever reason their prices on car coverage is not as stellar (comparatively). Although I'm sure the customer service would be just as good, if you are willing to pay more for that.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Although I sold my insurance agency 5 years ago, I represented Progressive, GMAC, Foremost, and others.

The very best is any of the Auto-Owners Group (Auto-Owners, Owners, Southern Owners); Progressive is a very close second. GMAC has made great strides to compete with the leaders, but is probably still not there yet. However, with the GMAC policy through Good Sam, you have them to bear pressure.

Claims results are normally excellent with the first two, but I ended up getting one Progressive Claims Manager fired (he lied to his boss about one of my customer's claims - and probably those of other agents) and worked with several other agents to get an Auto-Owners Claims Manager fired, so even the best have lapses.

Note that GMAC's policy on parked RVs is still better than anyone else's.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post