Forums    General Discussions    carrying spare parts...?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

carrying spare parts...?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted
So, did a search but couldn't find a list of spares that folks thought important to carry..

I suppose what I'm asking for is the 10/100 essentials to accompany you on your sojourn....

Where's the all encompassing list..? I'm sure that someone has compiled one..somewhere... on this forum(s)...M/C-W

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
The more spare parts you carry, the more likely those won't be the parts that you need. I would carry good electrical tape, Gorilla Tape, bailing wire, zip ties, belts, (new ones so you don't have to change them twice). 20' of 10g automotive wire (red if you want to match Barth's) and some new windshield wipers. On your coach make sure the drive shaft u-joint have been serviced.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Along with spare parts is the TOOLS to install the parts. Just like having a spare tire and no lug wrench or jack to put it on.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What to carry as spares is a list that varies with each person and circumstances. What is your level of ability? Where are you going to be traveling? How much space and weight carrying. capacity do you have? I do not carry a spare and never a wheel, just a tire when in desolate areas, but do have tools to do most roadside (do not walk) repairs, most of my spares are of the jury-rig category, Wire and splices, tape 9both electrical and duct), bailing wire, misc. nuts/bolts/washers/screws/etc. Fuses, belt, and things that are particular to your rig (for a gm cap rotor ignition module)- applies to all gas rigs. Years ago when I traveled all over western Colorado on roads that might see no other cars til the next day- I carried a motorcycle in back of the truck. Once in Ok. pushed the motor home 15 miles to a rv park with the VW thing toad. Will it break? and can you fix it if it does? But good maintenance and regular inspections are the most bang for the buck. sorry to be so long and rambling. john

Posts: 81 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you say you are a retired Forest Ranger Mike? It is a hit or miss Mike. Whatever will fit into your backpack. ROTFLMAO

John Canning, your last statement is the most important.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Much as I hate to admit it, alot of my expertise is limited to duct tape, zip ties and bailing wire repairs ( and volumes of research/available manuals/part number lists and internet search expertise***.....Guess I will learn.. mechanic I agree with John C that regular maintenance and inspections are a big preventative factor. That I excel in.. ! Just would like to have a few items, that could save some time for..

maybe this thread can be the go-to list for anyone's thoughts, hence the generic thread title..

Thanks M/C-W

*** oh, and of course, an excellent mobile repair and towing service with various RV association memberships

quote:
The more spare parts you carry, the more likely those won't be the parts that you need...
Doorman, with a little work , that philosophy should be able to be reversed resulting in carrying only those spare parts you actually would need..work on that for me, will you Big Grin
quote:
..Did you say you are a retired Forest Ranger ..
close but was a State Park Ranger .. did work for the Forest Service as a Wilderness horse patrolman/packer as my college summer breaks allowed..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W:
Much as I hate to admit it, alot of my expertise is limited to duct tape, zip ties and bailing wire repairs
Then your tool box will be a telephone to call your roadside service. hide

*** oh, and of course, an excellent mobile repair and towing service with various RV association memberships

quote:
..Did you say you are a retired Forest Ranger ..
close but was a State Park Ranger .. did work for the Forest Service as a Wilderness horse patrolman/packer as my college summer breaks allowed..[/QUOTE]

hmm Ok then what was or is your real trade occupation Ranger Mike? Must be something that is on either side of our country, from Maine to California? hmmTHREAD D-R-I-F-T
Sorry

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
retired...currently cleaning up my mom's estate in Maine..
then back to left coast..

M/C-W

M/C-W

posted Hide Post
Fordest Ranger, Barth Ranger I mean Ranger Barth, My brother has a Ford Ranger, he tired. He pick the tires up on Craiglist. ROTFLMAO
hide

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Hmm… spare parts. As was mentioned, the parts you need are any you feel you could install yourself, or hopefully have installed by a competent local mechanic. (ie no point in having computer diagnostics if the parts are not available.) This list will vary a lot depending on the coach, the owner and how remote are the plans.

Personally, my parts stash is limited only by available space and way more comprehensive than most. I have spare brake rotors and calipers, all the engine sensors, modules, belts, and hoses. Fuel, air, oil filters, ujoints, fuel tank selector valve.

Wire, fuses, circuit breakers, relays, light bulbs, solder, plenty of tools, air compressor, air wrench, torque wrench. 3 hydraulic jacks. Gallons of antifreeze, ATF, engine oil, rear axle grease, quarts of brake fluid, power steering fluid…

Not that I ever need any of the stuff ROTFLMAO

So far I almost always have what I need to git 'er done. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
And from now on, spare heads, valves, valve springs, head gaskets, and camshafts... mechanic

I carry most of what SteveVW does, plus alternator (came in handy once), master cylinder (would have come in handy twice), glow plug controller (came in handy once), A/C compressor (dead, to use as idler if the installed one locks up), belt tensioner (came in handy once) and pulley bearing, lift pump (2), battery charger, and cordless screwdriver and drill.

My last adventure with Good Sam Roadside Assistance would have been unnecessary if I had checked the fittings on my spare lift (fuel) pump, but I didn't, and they weren't compatible (they are now).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
battery charger

I had not carried a charger, only jumper cables. D'oh hmm For some reason when leaving for Allegan, Michigan I stuffed my charger into the basement. When I left for home from Allegan, Michigan, the batteries were too tired to turn over the 10.4 liter pussy CAT in the back. I was Happy I packed the a battery charger. A half hour charge and a jumper across the auxiliary start solenoid, Mechanic started the CAT as usual. Tooling Along I was then able to use the charger at the campground on the way home also. Superman

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
spare parts

and theseSmiler

http://www.usedrvs.net/checklist.html

http://www.campertrails.com/pr...ravel-checklist.html

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
did I forget alternator, power steering pump, starter, and a spare wheel/tire? ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I, too, carry a spare P/S pump - had two new ones fail with sheared shafts.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post