Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Snow removal from roof
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted
Got about 12 inches last night and now it is raining pretty good ontop of it. I can walk on the entire roof correct to brush the snow off?

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sad to say I have more experience than I want on this matter. head bang

Yes, you can walk all over, the roof is strong.

But:
Be sure you know where the vents, solar panels, etc are. I use a plastic shovel, my feet and a push broom.
Watch your step, you are 12 feet up on a slippery metal slab!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks. Mine isn't so slippery. Had a rubberized roof put on at some point in its life. Just waiting for the sleet to be over before heading out now. I did do the important thing. I cleared the snow so I can get my motorcycle out when the weather improves. Cars are still covered. Gotta prioritize!

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Okay so went up to clean and it went pretty easy, except I see this. First time I have been up since I bought it. Looked up there but didn't climb all the way up so it might have been missing for a while. I am guessing this is the top of the fridge. I am assuming there is to be a cover over this right? Anybody know what it would look like or even if I can buy a cover for it? Don't know if it is perferated or solid etc. Sorry for the pic it is snowing and blowing pretty good.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Look at my first picture, right in front of my leg. That vent is for the frig, you can see the grill on the side below.

A rectangle with a cap over it... we may have better photos someplace. Meanwhile I would cover it unless using the frig.

Google Dometic RV refrigerator roof vent. several hits

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Dometic RV refrigerator roof vent...

https://www.amazon.com/Rv-Refr...0Refrigerator%20Vent

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/p...rator-roof-vents.htm

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/...&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Bob, if you can make a cardboard pattern of the screw mounting holes, take the pattern to your local RV store. They should stock the cover. Mine cover blew off on the way home the day I bought the Barth. The heat from the refrigerator makes the cover brittle along with summer sun. They shatter and break off. Be cautious backing out the screws, so they do not break off for you.

Since you are not using the vent, cover it with something like an upside down plastic pan to keep more water and melting snow from draining into the vent. Do not use the refrigerator till you get the proper cover.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Cool, I ordered a Cameo one from Amazon that will be here Thursday as most were too small to fit. Funny thing is there aren't any mounting holes in any of the sheet metal up there which had me thinking it had a piece of steel folded over on it. The Cameo cover looks like it is pretty universal and should be easy to drill holes where ever on.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Check down inside the area that this is venting from, to see if there is water damage. Before relighting make sure everything is dried out.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Before you drill holes consider Eternabond tape 4" wide double stick. Clean roof, place double sided tape around perimeter then press vent cover into it. Then use Eternabond single sided tape 2", to apply on top of vent flashing. It will last forever and no possibilty of holes leaking.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Just noticed this post so this might be a bit late, but I lost my cover last summer due to my own negligence. The cover folds over the flue to hold it down and after cleaning the flue I just sat the cover back on, meaning to crimp it tight later, but forgot. I got my new one from PPL and it had a hole in the front in the lip that folds over, so I just put a small self tapping screw through that as added insurance. While it's off, reach down to the round flue and if there is a flap open it. There should be a chain that you can tug on a few times to loosen debris from inside the flue. It will fall out the bottom and you can sweep or vacuum it up. The new cover didn't come with a screen but I didn't lose the old one so I was able to reuse it. Looks like you'll have to come up with a new one, just something to keep the bugs out.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. It did appear that the wings were meant for folding a steel top over. Plastic won't melt will it? I can just use some window screen right to keep the bugs at bay? No drilling into the roof, just the sheet metal lip provided the cover I rdered will fit.