Forums    General Discussions    If you could have any engine you want, what would it be, and why?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

If you could have any engine you want, what would it be, and why?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
Picture of Lorelei
posted
Hello everyone: The diesel mechanic has left for the day after informing us the Detroit 8.2 seized. We didn't think it had, but it has. We now have to figure out what to replace it with, and where to tow it to have the engines swapped.

We'd love to hear from some of you. The "why" is as important to us as the "what", since we're trying to educate ourselves and not kill each other in the process. Actually, Tim is educating himself as I write this - I think he's working on the generator - even though the mechanic drove off into the sunset hours ago.

In the immortal words of my nephew, "DUDE! This is getting OLD!"

Thanks one and/or all for any insight you can provide.

P.S. Bill, don't say it.

Posts: 38 | Location: Point Arena, CA | Member Since: 06-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear the bad news. Since you are going to have to replace the engine it might be a good time to see if you can find a complete engine and transmission combination from a donor vehicle. I would look for one with an Allison 6 speed transmission.

I left you a voice mail earlier about the engine that was originally in your Barth. According to Pronto VIN decoder it was a Cummins but that is an error. The chassis came from Gillig with a Detroit Diesel.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm with Nick - the engine-tranny combo would be easier, especially where electronics are concerned.

However, it appears you made it home; what were the symptoms before it "failed"?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
The 2 stoke DD you have is designed for in frame
overhaul. I would be concerned acting on one mobil mechanics opinion. What happened leading up to this failure? Cold weather starting runaway?
You need an older mechanic and a shop experienced with the 2- stroke Detroits.

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The GM 6.2L, 6.5L, 8.2L and ToroFlow are all four-stroke cycle.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lorelei
posted Hide Post
OK. Here's what happened. The compressor bracket broke while I was driving 55 MPH on I-10 near Phoenix. I lost power, but immediately coasted to side of road. The rear of coach was coated in oil. Coach was towed to truckstop & diesel mechanic called (Regan's Diesel in Eloy, AZ). He welded the bracket and installed, then we tried to start. She's frozen solid. She can't be budged. He tried to by-pass starter, can't get it to move manually. Looks like we need a new engine. Thanks for your replies.

Posts: 38 | Location: Point Arena, CA | Member Since: 06-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a bummer!!!! We have had our semi in Regans diesel in Eloy before. He is really the only shop around that whole area, (right in between Tucson and Phoneix) My advice to you is to make sure that the owner of the shop has done the work or at least over looks the work. He is a very honest mechanic, he also is the only one in the shop that knows whats going on!!!!!

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
The nearest DD Service Center is a Freighliner-Western Star Dealer in Chandler, AZ (71 miles). The phone number is 480-282-4000, They are open until Midnight. Give them a call and explain to them your problem and see if you can get a second opinion.

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lorelei
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. It's good to have a choice. Talked to Detroit Diesel service guey (that's yiddish for guy) who says it sounds like engine is fried. Or frozen. Or whatever we say. He could send a mobile mechanic, but thinks we'd be throwing good money after bad. I think we need to bite the bullet and swap engines. We'll decide in am.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I've been in phone contact with Lorelei a couple of times.

My advice for what it is worth is to load it on a truck and haul it home. Now they have time to finish an engine swap and not be under the gun.

Next I am suggesting installing a Nestar 444 (this is also the Ford powerstroke) out of an IH (1900)van. Budget and Penske truck rentals have whole fleets of them and with a little luck could probably buy the whole truck. Most of them have allison transmissions and after about 2000 also had the 2000 transmission. As the original transmission is probably a 545 and you all know my opinion about that box, they would now get an overdrive and lockup torque converter.

The 444 (7.3) can easily have the HP upped to about 300HP with a chip change. Lots of stuff available for the engine because of its usage in the Ford PU.

It would be nicer to convert to a Cummins but the chassis was sized for a V8 and the length of the inline engine would require major changes.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/10
Picture of roman
posted Hide Post
Lorelei,

Sorry to hear about your engine problems. I know how it is when you're traveling long distances and dealing with problems as you go. But with the supportive and technical expertise on this forum you will do fine. It's clear from Gary Carter's post that an inline 6 like a Cummins would require major modifications. That's too bad because so far I really like the 300 hp Cummins in my 34' Regency. I wish you the best of luck finding a reasonably priced engine and transmission for your Barth. Take care.

Roman

1993, 34', Regency, Widebody
300 HP Cummins
6 spd Allison, Spartan Chassis

Posts: 73 | Location: Alaska | Member Since: 03-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd suspect there's plenty of room for a Cummins in there. Motor and tranmission mounts would have to be changed, but an C 8.3L couldn't be any more difficult than any other re-engine effort. The differential ratio may also have to be changed.

I'm with Gary in that it'd be better in the long run to truck it home and replace the drivetrain at your leisure.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
I've been following this site for a while now and this is the fourth motorhome that never made it back home after purchase or died shortly there after. We all remember the one that burned up. Makes me want to shy away from buying a motorhome in general. Maybe an Airstream trailer...

I wish you the best in getting your coach back on the road.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The way I try to look at it is 'It's all part of the adventure'. Buying any older motor home and depending on it to get you home, is a real gamble. It's the risk one takes for not paying $300,000 for a new one. If the previous owner was diligent, did all the routine maintenance, the odds are better. A 20/30 year old anything has a good chance of breaking. I drove my '85 Regal from Arizona to North Carolina without a hitch. That's because the previous owner, Jon Borke, went over the thing to make sure it had a good chance of making it. If it had broken, well, I see it as an opportunity to meet new people and see new places. That's what the lifestyle is all about.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Well, some come and some goes. I bought mine in Albuquerque, NM about 3 years ago. I had the cat engine and the allisson tranny check out at the local cat dealer. I told them to check out the engine and tranmission thoroughly, that I would be driving it 1,500 mile the next day. Every thing check out fine, the coach had been taken real good care of, and I drove the 1,500 miles home without any problems. Previous to my purchase the person I had bought it from had put about 12,000 miles on it the previous year.
Since then, I have put another 12,000 miles with out any problems, other than changing oil, filters, liquids, and belts, etc. The check up at the cat dealer cost $250., which I think was reasonable and gave a better outlook on things. Glad I bought and would do it again.
See you all down the road.
sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post