Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dormant Barth
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Boonton Jim
posted Hide Post
Doorman, the coach is in Toledo.

Posts: 59 | Location: Boonton, NJ | Member Since: 09-26-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Let me coach you on shipping companies...

In July, I bought and shipped a vehicle 500 miles. The shipping company hit a bridge with my vehicle (they were overheight). Eventually, I did get paid for the vehicle...less their $1000 deductible from their insurance...of which I have not been able to collect from the trucking company yet.. (Note: Their "cargo insurance" will not pay for your temporary substitute vehicle...i.e.rental car or for any other items...it only pays for the damage to the vehicle they were transporting) Fortunately, even though they showed to have insurance...they let it lapse and it was reinstated HOURS before they picked up my vehicle. If they had picked it up they day before, they would not have had insurance.

To protect yourself. 1. Get the name of the shipping company and their Federal Motor Carrier Number. 2. Go on the internet. You can find their insurance carrier posted on a Federal website. Call the insurance company, explain you are getting ready to ship a vehicle with this company and you wanted to verify coverage was "in good standing" and "was indeed in effect" or "had not lapsed". Get names of people you talked to, document the number and the time you talked to them...best if they could email you or you email them as documentation.

I'm am being intentionally vague because I am still in negotiations with the insurance company.

Finally, be sure you have your private insurance on the coach to back you up. I definately had that and may use it to recover the $1000 they still owe me.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post