Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Price
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Further reduced to $ 33,000. Another one with many more miles is on trader on line for $38,500. Do not believe NADA knows what they are talking about when pricing Barths. Ours new was $145,000 and it is a Barth not a Safari Trek which Nada compares at about the same value. That is like comparing a 2000 Mercedes to a 2000 Buick. Look forward to your comments on this discussion regarding value and I know there will be one.

edited by Bill NY to insert link back to the Barth Coach For Sale this post is talking about... FL. 1992 Barth Breakaway - 30 foot - Mid Coach Entry

Posts: 2 | Location: Clearwater, Florida | Member Since: 01-29-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

I removed this from the Barth Coaches for Sale Forum and decided to place it in the General Discussion area for your comments.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

Discussion involving price... heck you can ask $100,000 for the rig if you want. Wink It'll be worth however much someone is willing to pay. You'll likely have a hard time getting above-NADA prices for RV's nowadays, even if it IS worth that much or more. Either way, as a fellow Barth appreciator I wish you the best of luck selling!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Pennock:
Further reduced to $ 33,000....Look forward to your comments on this discussion regarding value and I know there will be one.
Bob is asking... so I believe he is expecting an assessment on his price point and selling technique.

Whenever anyone sells anything the self reflection starts on day one.

• Did I ask too much?
  • Did I not ask enough?
  • Did I put in everything that will help me sell it?

Sometimes it takes a little longer to get serious about reflection and your desire to sell. Other times it can seem like a desperation sell... One member took an unorthodox approach and literally stated No Alternatives -- Desperation Sale -- '94 Widebody, Rear Diesel Pusher

Others will let their coach sit here, not really intending on selling it, they place a If they'll buy it for this price, I'll sell it and they keep using it.

It truly is better to keep the price of these coaches higher so when the day comes and you want to sell, you'll get a good dollar for it in "Resale Value"

Sadly, that day for Barth Passed a little while ago. It's not that our coaches are comparable to what a Trek is in value, it is what the dealerships have reported to NADA that they are giving for a trade in value. Our coaches are now based on what a "Safari Trek" is going for. You need to decide if a new plastic coach is of a "better value" to you, the seller, in the long run if you just plan on selling your coach for another RV toy.

My thoughts on NADA? A full black tank on an RV is the first image that pops in my head.

Of course, there is this example too. Wasting away - an extreme example.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
    8908 0128 40RDS-C1
    L-10 Cummins
    Allison MT647 Transmission
    Spartan Chassis
    Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
    9102 3709 33S-12
    Ford 460 MPFI
    C6 Transmission
    Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message
  •  
    Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    FKA: noble97monarch
    Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
    Picture of Moonbeam-Express
    posted Hide Post
    NADA and Edmunds are simply guides for the banks and dealers to hedge with. In the case of RVs, it's even worse as they generally use nothing more than a depreciation model that doesn't distinguish between makes or models, only initial retail.

RV manufacturers have had fun with this throughout the years, often inflating their stated retail to outlandish levels and then giving huge dealer and buyer concessions (rebates essentially). So, say a rig should really retail for $100K, they retail it for $125 - then put massive incentives on it. It then gets traded 3 years later and it appears worth what the actual price the consumer paid for it according to NADA. Said manufacturer then advertises how well their brand holds value. Simplified, it's all a big game to manipulate consumers and banks.

The only true way to gauge used values is by comparisons to recently sold items that are near identical. Again, a problem when most people would consider a 36' Barth and a 36' Winnebago the same thing! Probably most would consider the Winnebago more valuable because they recognize the name.

An encouraging sale recently in the Barth sold section documents an engineer who bought a Barth quickly and reasonably due to his knowledge of the quality of our brand.

Now a friend of mine just restored her 1956 Airstream Bubble, she has over $35K in it. What might NADA value it at if they went back that far? It's an age old problem with anything that is collectible, what is the real value? Someone stated it perfectly, whatever someone will pay.

It's hard to believe Barth will get to an iconic state like Airstream has, we simply don't have the volumes to create awareness. The best thing we have for improving Barth quality awareness is this website and all the folks that belong to it. Doing get-togethers and talking to other RVers will potentially raise awareness and demand, especially with a decreasing inventory.

One final note; look for RVs in the US to continue to get smaller and more space efficient as fuel will most certainly go back up in the mid term if not sooner. I'm writing this note from Amsterdam NL where I have seen only one RV this weekend - about a 20'er. There are far more bicycles than cars here and the cars are half the US size. This is pretty much how it is everywhere I go in the world - Except North America. For future value - think smaller - think diesel.

Also, I'll disagree with the concept that a Barth isn't an "investment". You can't ever know if it will go up or down, but the fact that it will certainly go down less than an equivalently priced SOB makes it a classic investment. It's akin to buying a machine in a factory that saves money even though the item itself depreciates. Just another way to look at it.

Varwel,

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
    Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
    “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
    Picture of carlflack
    posted Hide Post
    If you remember a month or so prior to the Chattanooga, TN GTG I wanted to go in a diesel pusher. Knowing I could sell my 1988 Regal, I bid on a 1992 30'Breakaway on eBay.Thinking I would outsmart other bidders I toss in an additional $205.00 above my top bid. However another bidder had the same idea and instead of winning at my "hopeful" price I won by only $ 2.50. Several more knowledgeable Barth owners thought I over paid. Since I can't do my own major repairs it is a little pricey but it sure is one heck of a lot of fun and enjoyment. So I guess the old adage is correct,"if the buyer and seller are happy it's five o'clock somewhere.............

Former owner of "THE TOY"
    1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
    1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
    2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post