Forums    General Discussions    It ain't a Barth, but..
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

It ain't a Barth, but..
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted
It ain't a Barth, but it probably drew the most attention of any of the thousands of coaches at the FMCA convention.

The coach is a 1957 Flxible 34 foot. From the exterior there were no signs of a RV conversion. The inside was as modern as a new 2009. The original gas engine and manual transmission has been replaced with a Cummins 8.3 and an Allison 6 speed.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I wonder how a coach/bus of that era "rides".

Looks almost just like the Gornicke bus "Happy Max" from the movie RV. Smiler

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the "Happy Max" was a Flxible also.

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, with a lot of character too. Not to mention plenty of stainless steel and a million mile chassis. I wouldn't mind one of those.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towerguy:
IIRC, the "Happy Max" was a Flxible also.

Yes indeed, a 1948 model I believe. Actually 2 of them that were used for the movie.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I was interested in these at one point, and believe that many of them were used as public transit buses. I wonder how many of them were made as motor homes at the factory. They are really unique. What do you think it cost to redo the one in Nick's post? $50G??

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
.....and, like us, they've got a neat website:

http://www.flxibleowners.org/

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
A neighbor converted one of those in the early seventies. I was surprised to learn it had a straight eight Buick engine. He zoomed it up with a twin carb manifold, etc. Lost too much low and mid range torque, so went back to a single carb. It was built like a tank.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post