Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Parts?
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
I am new to the Barthmobile site and I am looking for a used motorhome to start RVing. The Barth certainly looks intriguing. One question (among many) that I have is since they do not manufacture any longer where do you get parts when needed (other than the obvious 3rd party components)? Is there a place to learn the models, years and lengths of Barth motorhomes? Thanks...

Posts: 6 | Location: Marion, Iowa USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi JJ,

And welcome to Barthmobile.com. What I am going to say here has been gleaned from reading this website and talking to others, But I am sure that it can be improved upon.

Up until the 1980's I don't thing that Barth's had names. In fact, in my collection of Barth catalogers, in the 1970's they just referred to the 25 foot Barth as "The 25 foot Barth" and no other names.

In 1982 when Barth bought the assets of the FMC motor-coach company

1976 FMC Motor-coach

They started making the Regency in 1982 for the unbelievable price of $185,000.

Around 1984 They changed the styling of all of there coaches to that which we are all used to and then the diesel unit was the Regency and the gas was the Regal.

1985 Regal (Ford or Chevy Gas)

1985 Regency (MCC chassis (FMC) and Detroit Diesel engine).

Then around 1987 they changed the chassis on the diesel units to Gillig Chassis with 250-275 hp Cats but still called them Regency's.

They also (in the 80's) built a small coach with a fiberglass front called the Euro.

It didn't sell well but as I understand it sold better in Europe than here. I was also told by Bob Barth Jr. they had leak problems around the fiberglass cap.

They also experimented with other chassis like the Iveco from Italy (Fiat).

[b]I talked to a guy who drove one of these Iveco's from California to the most southern tip of South America and back with out a single problem. Then when he put it up for sale on this website it sold in a day. I am sure some of you remember that.

Then I think in either 89 or 90 they came out with the Breakaway which was primarily on the Spartan Chassis with the Cummins 5.9 190hp engine. The built these until 1993-1994 (I think) but they upgraded in later years to the 240hp Cummins and the Allison 6 speed transmission.

[b]Many times you can tell the Breakaways because of the busy striping patterns.

Then in the later 90's they produced a Barth Monarch, with was a big diesel on a Spartan chassis but did not have the leather and Corian therefore was lower priced.

I also have to mention that Barth made some pretty cool Class C's also.

so there is all I know. There are probably many corrections that other Barth'ers can and should make.

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited June 11, 2003).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Now THAT'S what I call an answer! Thank you, Dave.

Posts: 6 | Location: Marion, Iowa USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello! Do search for Dave's insightful posts on the parts availability situation for MCC chassis coaches. I did, and after speaking to a number of MCC Regency owners, and thoughtfully considering the pros and cons, I bought one. An '84 REGENCY with 53000 miles on it, in beautiful condition. There WILL be a parts availability "situation" with these units, but not one that is insurmountable. The brakes are a bit undersized, needing regular maintenance, and the rear differential seems to have had a run of bad pinion shafts back when. Some go for many tens of thousands of miles... like 50-60-80,000... with no pinion shaft trouble... some seem to have an early demise. My coach has 53000 miles on it... it broke a pinion shaft before I took delivery. Now, I have no fear of "pulling out the tools at the park while the wife and kids go off to ride the roller-coasters", and WILL be buying a spare pinion shaft or two to carry along with me... (cheap insurance) BUT, the MCC chassis has the reputation of being the best riding and handling coach ever built... BAR NONE. After ten years with a P30 chassis Winnebago BRAVE I've decided that BUILD QUALITY and INTEGRITY are more important than mass availability of parts. I like to stop and smell the roses from time to time, anyway... GOOD LUCK, enjoy your RV experience whatever you buy! Cheers, Chris

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, if I'd have had a BARTH coach on my P30, I might be keeping it! It just rode like, well, a bread truck!

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave: can you put PDF versions of the Barth ad's on-line somehow? In particular I'd like the ones that have to do with mid 80's Regencys...

posted Hide Post
Dave, I found the files on that web site you set up, and even though they are not PDF's, they are just fine. thanks.

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
My website guru (16 year old neighbor girl Rachel who is now almost 19 years old and going to Adelphia University in New York after a 1560 SAT). Doesn't have a bunch of time for the site right now and that would be a big job. I find it is very easy to just email the appropriate pdf's. Also remember that for $25 you can get now over 600 Barth images and "all" of the pdf files on CD.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post