Tools
Reply To This Topic

Private Messages aka PMs
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
Below this post is a tutorial on the PM or Private Message feature found on barthmobile.com.

Because of the dark yellow background, I have put the tutorial in the next post for ease of reading and seeing the yellow stoplights images.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I've had several instances of people questioning the PMs feature and how it is supposed to work.

If you have a NEW PM, one that is waiting for you to read, you will see this icon and it will show up on every forum page.

- or -

If you do not see this, then you only have OLD PMs that you have already read.

To read your new PM you would need to click on the above picture of the multicolored Barth RV. Once there you will be presented with a few PM choices.

If you see this icon. That tells you that you have a NEW, UNREAD message that you would need to read.

If you see this icon. This means that you have already read this PM.

PMs that have and have not been read.

Keep in mind that the PM feature is not a personal storage space, because of system resource issues your PMs will be deleted within 91 days of the last time any activity took place.

Lets say I sent you a PM and you read it and waited 10 weeks to respond back to me. Then I responded and sent it back to you 3 weeks later. After 91 days from the last time there was activity, it would be deleted. As long as there is activity, it will stick around.

I recommend that you set your personal preference to forward the PMs to your emails account. But, this is where the problems start if you're not familiar with the features of the PM.

If the email is forwarded to you from Barthmobile, and you only read the email, that will not get rid of the new icons you see above.

Please note, if you read your email, you will notice that the sender is bill_ny@barthmobilecom If you just click, "Reply To This Email" and type back your response as an email reply, I will get it instead of the person who sent you the PM in the first place.

I can not read anyone's PMs, what is said there is PRIVATE - if you click "Reply To This Email" it will wind up in my email box and not to who you intended and then I can read it. Not private anymore.

So, read the emails - reply back to the person within the PM on the barthmobile.com site and not as a reply to the email.

This forum has a lot of neat features, some are easily understood, some are not. If you have any issues with the PM feature, let me know and I will help you with it.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
SmilerThis is all VERY IMPORTANT if you are planning the over throw of the Barthmobile.com host. Violence
If you are wondering where this idea came from, you should visit the chat room

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I have missed some PMs because they did not show up as an alert in my e-mail and did not trigger the striped bus on "NSLV".

I just got a PM alert today in my e-mail, and did my normal thing and went to NSLV and found no PM stiped bus. When I clicked on "Forums", there was the striped bus.

Just thought I'd share that.

I don't know if that is the way it is supposed to be or just a quirk, but I hope no one thinks I was ignoring them.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
Picture of Lorelei
posted Hide Post
This thread was really helpful. I hope I can remember to just slow down... though this would be novel for me. I noticed myself recently thinking (as I was conducting a group with teenagers) "There they go. I must hasten after them, for I am their leader!" Smiler

Posts: 38 | Location: Point Arena, CA | Member Since: 06-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
This post is to update you on the PM Message Forwarder Service that we provide on Barthmobile.com

The Barthmobile Servers uses the same text for a New Member, a PM Message or a Subscription to the Forums. If it gets forwarded from Barthmobile, chances are you will see this message. I have rewritten the text to the automated response and forwarder to read:
quote:
Hello, this is an automated response to either a PM Message, a Subscription to an Email Digest or because you have just registered on our site.

~ If the subject line of this email says:

Email Confirmation Request

Then read the full text below and confirm yourself on our site by going to the bottom of the page and clicking on the link below the words

*****Our site requires members to confirm their email addresses (this helps to protect us and you!). Please click on the link below to confirm this email has reached the right person:

Registration Confirmation for Barthmobile Portal

Then you have been resent your credentials for signing up to Barthmobile. Look at the bottom and you will see that this Email has your "Email Sign-On" and "Password" attached.

Email Digest for...

Then you can read your digest here or click on the link to reply to that subscription.

However, this could also be a forwarded PM (Private Message) that you need to respond to.

~ If the subject line of this email says either:

New Private Topic by... or if it says New Reply by...

Then you have a new PM Message or a response to an older PM Message.

In all cases, you will notice, the return email address is bill_ny@barthmobile.com This is because the Barthmobile Servers forwarded this to you. Please keep all correspondence for barthmobile via the PM feature or thru a Forum posts.

Please, do not hit "Reply To This Email" as it will go unanswered.

If you need additional help, type up a new email and in the subject line write: Help Needed.
If someone has a better suggestions on the wording of this, I would like to hear your recommendations. The only reason that this is being done, is because I keep getting others peoples Private Messages.

In the past, if you subscribed to the forwarded PM service, it sent the entire text of the PM to you. Because of this, it was thought that I could read your PMs... nono I've tried to explain that I couldn't read them, but sometimes it fell on deaf ears...

The only time that I could read your PMs were when you replied back to that forwarded email instead of responding to the PM. Your actions of clicking "Reply To This Email" sent me the original text and your follow up text.

Even though you sent it to me, I feel very uncomfortable reading someones private thoughts. I am trying to set this up so it is better understood by everyone. Now, if you do make the same mistake, and send the message back to me, I can not read it.

Without going into greater detail, lets just say that what I'm doing is trying to insure your privacy while at the same time would allow these messages to keep going out to you.

Now, it will just give you a link to click. I hope this streamlines our PM feature. Thumbs Up
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
SmilerThis is all VERY IMPORTANT if you are planning the over throw of the Barthmobile.com host. Violence
You can now plot the overthrow of your host. hide

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
It only took a week... hmm

Against me better judgment I have re-initiated the "Full Text" forwarding feature on our site.

It will now say.
quote:
If you are A NEW MEMBER, jump below and read this post, you MUST CLICK A LINK to be confirmed.

Everyone else: "THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE - PLEASE VISIT THE BARTHMOBILE FORUM TO REPLY". Do not hit "Reply to this email"

If you need additional help, type up a new email and in the subject line write: Help Needed.
Good luck to those who keep responding to "AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE". head bang

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

posted Hide Post
How to contact JMF on this site ?

Posts: 3 | Location: Flordia | Member Since: 01-26-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Found no posts by "JFM"
Generally, you just click on the author, in left column, which opens options such as Invite To A Private Topic.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
JMF

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rusty. Not am I dyslexic usually. Our church goes by "JFM" for Jackson Free Methodist. So, my eye/brain connection showed my age.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
If I send somebody an PM, and for whatever reason, they don't respond, and then I send them another PM by hitting the 'reply' feature, will they get the second PM? When I do this it always shows up in my own PM alerts since I have essentially replied to my own PM.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/14
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
So how do I get permission to PM?

Posts: 242 | Location: Sequim Washington | Member Since: 05-12-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You should already have it. In a thread, click on the poster's name and an option is to send a PM.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/14
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
OK. Last time I tried to send a PM it said I needed permission. Maybe I was trying to look at someone's coach or profile. Dunno. Seems to work now.

Cheers
Meric

Posts: 242 | Location: Sequim Washington | Member Since: 05-12-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post