Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Adventures await
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Adventures big and small; exciting and frustrating are in our future but we are excited to join you all as Barth owners.

We picked up a 1988 28' Regal Chevy 454 with low mileage, great interior and exterior. We have a steep learning curve as its our first RV but we are excited to tinker over the winter. It ran and drove great the 350 miles home without issue and we are building a punch list prioritizing suspension and mechanicals.

Its a good thing it wasn't raining as the first order of business after we drained tanks and water heater was to start sorting the windshield wipers that seem to not even include a fluid reservoir (tubes just dangling in there).

It came with ZERO paperwork outside of a few service repair receipts and verbal history from the past two owners. I've been digging deep on the forum and appreciate everyone's contribution over the years. ...
Seriously SO SO THANKFUL!!!
If anyone has a similar unit with their binder, schematics, specs, etc in PDF form that isn't already on this site and is willing to share we would be so thankful. Shoot me a PM and I'll share email.

Posts: 29 | Location: Prince William County, VA | Member Since: 10-25-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your new project. Barth coaches were built better than most. If rescued in time, you can fix them faster than they break and enjoy them.

I had an 86 Regal 33 ft with tag axle. Did extensive work on it and drove it about 45,000 miles. Many threads on it here on the site. Sold it for my current Barth. Like you, I got little paperwork with it. Search this site to find what you can..

In addition to the usual thorough inspection of all coach systems, with the GM chassis I would check all brake lines and components right away for wear and corrosion. Biggest safety issue.

The 454 has a thirst for fuel and the early GM fuel systems were prone to vapor lock and fuel starvation. Be sure your fuel tanks are clean, fuel pumps are working well and all filters are clear. Be sure the lines are not corroded or restricted. You will be rewarded with better reliability.

After that, drive and enjoy. Thumbs Up

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/13
Picture of Steve Griffin
posted Hide Post
Immediately replace all rubber fuel lines with Gates “Barricade” line or equivalent. SAE30R14 is the spec number. This is compatible with the ethanol blended gasoline available everywhere nowadays. Your lines are probably over 30 years old and need to be replaced for safety reasons. This includes any short connections between the hard lines and fuel pump, between the hard lines and gas tank and any of the same to the generator. And any vent or return lines between the gas tank and fuel pump. You don’t want your new toy to burn down because of old lines.

And beware that auto parts stores still stock and will sell you the old style fuel hose which is incompatible with ethanol gasoline so insist that the hose you buy has the spec number SAE30R14 printed on it or don’t buy it.

Better safe than sorry.

Posts: 151 | Location: Oologah, OK | Member Since: 10-05-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Great Info Steve! Nice to meet you 2Puppers.... There is also a short section of fuel hose, inside the gas tank, between the electric fuel pump and the steel line. That bit me once. Your machine is similar to mine. Plus, you have the "7N4" belt system on the front of your engine. It is "finicky" about belt selection, and some people speculate that the adjustment bolts loose hardness after 2 or 3 decades. At least that is a simple remedy. You are going to love your Barth.

Happy Motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:

In addition to the usual thorough inspection of all coach systems, with the GM chassis I would check all brake lines and components right away for wear and corrosion. Biggest safety issue.

The 454 has a thirst for fuel and the early GM fuel systems were prone to vapor lock and fuel starvation. Be sure your fuel tanks are clean, fuel pumps are working well and all filters are clear. Be sure the lines are not corroded or restricted. You will be rewarded with better reliability.

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

@Steve VW, Thanks for the advice. The drive home included a serious leg workout to slow/stop so the brakes and components are on the short list for sure. It seems like all our fuel lines are stainless but will use the borescope (best gift to myself ever!) to check out the lines when we get a chance. This will include making sure the short section in the tank is newer as well. I hadn't considered the "other" fuel lines @Steve Griffin & @BarthBluesmobile so thank you for that recommendation and the part numbers!

@BarthBluesmobile we found a belt on the ground when we went to look at it (replaced). Appreciate the heads up on them being finicky. Will search the forum for recommended belt and purchase an extra spare ASAP.

Posts: 29 | Location: Prince William County, VA | Member Since: 10-25-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
use the borescope >>>

https://www.autozone.com/test-...pe-inspection-camera

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
One of the first failure on our coach was the fuel regulator between the high pressure pump in the tank and fuel line to engine fuel pump. Diaphragm had cracked letting high pressure gas spray out everywhere. Had to drop tank to get to it. hydraulic leveler was in the way. I think on a coach without levelers it can be accessed with out removing tank. This is a Holly pressure regulator. If replacing fuel hoses I recommend replacing this. This setup was only used on 86 and up non efi coaches.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I think this is the fpr on our 89 25' Regal

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
fpr

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
My 33 Regal had one I replaced:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...813993377#2813993377

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post