Tools
Reply To This Topic

Warning for Dogs
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
I couldn't travel as much without team driving with Casey (and Nelson's got his learner's permit), so for those who also travel with our canine buddies is this

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Rusty. Our vet said I'm giving the dogs too many of these treats. We are looking for healthier treats and thinking of making our own.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
I always avoid ANY product from China and quit pig ears after they came from China. Just do not trust them (watch out for candy for kids/Halloween, a lot is made in China like gummies). Sadly I cannot avoid what they mix in dog food and people food that is made in the US with Chinese products. Thank you Rusty for the warning, get the word out. So my dog looks forward to a piece of cheese as a treat. At his age (14) that is all he can chew anyway... Doris

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Oakley & Bear get carrots, radishes and romain lettuce for their treats. They also get raw chicken for their food when we can afford it. Dogs do fine with chicken bones if they aren't cooked. I intentionally stay away from anything with the Old Roy label. It is poison. When we used to give them rawhide bones, they were always sick. Now if they want to chew on something it is a KONG filled with Pnuts. The only exception to this is the Florida GTG where they get all kinds of treats from Barthers. Wink

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Snoopy would spit a carrot back out with disgust. Betsy was giving her dogs Cheerios as treats, they loved it. Snoopy did show no interest until I spilled a bowl of cereal with milk. When we had our big 100 lbs dog we got giant fresh knucklebones from the butcher.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Maggie Mae loved carrots.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusty - Read where if pets get too much
carrots in their diet, they are at risk
for kidney stones (oxalic acid crystals).

A gentleman, Colonel Francis J Hart, aka
Col. Joe (see www.coljoe.com )had his little
dog die from excessive carrot ingestion.

This led him to research on oxalic acid
which is found in Carrots, Cocoa, Spinach,
Rhubarb, Swiss Chard and other foods.

He found that in normal supply in the blood stream of a human, it helped prevent cancer, and the lack of which hastened the manifestation of cancer.

My interest in his research on oxalic acid began when I spoke with a lady from the island of Tobago, who made the bold statement that her people don't get the cancer because they drink cocoa pod tea.

So my inquisitive mind began to ask, "what's in cocoa that might have properties to protect one from cancer"?

Turns out, cocoa is one of the richest sources of oxalic acid.

Did not the native diet of the Hawaiian islander have a low incidence of cancer, before adopting the refined foods of the mainland? A main staple of the diet was poi a starchy dip made from taro root, which is a rich source of oxalic acid.

From Colonel Joe's website: www.coljoe.com we read:

Oxalic acid is also a normal substance in the blood of all warm-blooded mammals. In "Oxalic Acid in Biology and Medicine" by A. Hodgkinson (1977) it is reported as a mean value of 288 u g of anhydrous oxalic acid/100 ml for normal human blood.

It would be interesting to measure the level of oxalic acid present in cancer patients and the effect on them once that level begins to be raised to normal or beyond.

rb

Posts: 39 | Location: USA | Member Since: 04-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Maggie got a couple of baby carrots occasionally. She and Barney, then Casey, went with me to the office several days a week. My office manager shared her veggie plate carrots with Maggie. She died of cancer at 14.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Recall for "Nature's recipe oven baked biscuits with chicken" made in Topeka KS due salmonella. Just seen on the news today.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Chocolate and grapes, fresh or raisins, are supposed to be very toxic to dogs; onions and garlic ....somewhat.
Some friends' vet advised them to give "Rusty" (Jack RUSsell) carrots as a snack substitute to keep him from gaining weight. Mini won't eat them except when she is with her buddy Rusty and he has one.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post