Forums    General Discussions    Are Barths stable in the wind?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Are Barths stable in the wind?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Having recently come down off a 42' mega-motorhome, or rather having come to my senses, I am wondering if Barths are stable in the wind? I realize they would not compare to something the size and weight of a city bus, but do they rock as bad as say, cab-over types of rvs? We used to see those little motorhomes swinging all over the road!!

Posts: 4 | Location: Pensacola, FL USA | Member Since: 07-31-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
There is indeed going to be some movement. Especially with the gas models like my '85 Regal. When I first bought my coach I had 4 way coil over shocks

I really didn't get very much movement when a truck went by but did get blown around a little in the wind. These shocks started leaking and I changed to Bilsteins Gas shocks.

Since adding the Bilsteins I have a much nicer ride on the straight a ways but I do lean quite a bit more. And, I have noticed that when I am stopped and a truck goes by I do bob a bit....

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited August 02, 2003).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience with the 30' Breakaway has been steady as a rock. I recently drove from coast to coast with no unwanted lane changes at all. I've had maniac tractor trailers blow by me at 80 mph and not be effected at all. I had a 23ft gas Apollo that when a tractor trailer pass me it waas like, "hold on for your life"!

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It all depends on the Barth that you have. The one I have will not sway or rock when being passed by an 18 wheeler.

1988 40' Regency 300T CAT
With Airride Gillig

Posts: 75 | Location: Villa Rica, Ga, USA | Member Since: 03-15-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
As Al says, it depends on which Barth you have. The gassers have a shorter and narrower footprint, so need more help. I left a post on Tech Issues re P30 stability.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
Let�s not forget simple physics! Mass means everything in stability. My 21� (P30) was tossed around pretty good, my 27� (P30) a lot less, and my 30� Breakaway (almost double the weight) hardly moves.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently sold the Winne P30 for an 84 Barth Regency. Drove it back from Buffalo and was stunned, literally, with it's rock solid placement on the road. NO semi-blow-by AT ALL. It was very stable, a great ride.

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wheel base is a huge factor too. AL'S Barth probably has WB of 279" The shortiest Gillig is 208" That nearly 6' difference does make a diff. A Jeep will get sideways much faster than limo. A dragster is over 300" in WB. They don't get sideways often. I find little movement, but I tend to drive to far to the right, steering with my finger tips so to speak works best. It is not a sprint car that requires a lot of steering wheel movement. My wife says 60-65 mph makes her relax. She says "GET THAT BIG TIME CHARLIE?" and after 43 years I listen. Well sometimes....

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All,

How tall is a 1992 30'Breakaway?

Bill

Posts: 55 | Location: Hagerstown, MD, USA | Member Since: 07-24-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post