Forums    General Discussions    short sale on rv?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

short sale on rv?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted
Perhaps I get concerned too easily, but I rec'd some paperwork on a 'short sale' of an rv. The seller is 'upside down' and apparently lender will take much less, (preferable to liquidation/auction/bankruptcy?) The paperwork seems to indicate their doing this; "escalation dept", but I'm getting queasy. So I took paperwork to my banker and credit union and neither liked what they saw. I did some research and the 1st 2 results on the lender were about buyer not receiving the title/lien release after paying off the sellers' loan. All of this concerns me a bit. When I tried to call the sellers' lender for clarification, they wouldn't take my call because I'm not the account #.

Now I do understand the short sale of a home; and I hear Dave Ramsey et al telling people in financial trouble (not me, seller) that they shouldn't bail out; they should call lenders and offer pennies on the dollar. So I get the logic. But I've never done anything like this, and it seems to me the buyer is in last place with regard to actually getting the title and clearance. Am I being skittish for no reason?

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
Sure sounds like three day old fish to me, without confirming with the lienholder I wouldn't touch it.

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I being skittish for no reason?

No.

If your banker and CU "didn't like what they saw", it might be an indication.

I would seek legal advice on assuring a clear title or a refund.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Ditto
When they hand you a clear title, you hand them the money. Nothing else.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
When they hand you a clear title, you hand them the money. Nothing else.

Make it a tellers check. At least this adds a little bit more to a paper trail.

I've read lately of dealers selling cars they didn't legally own, and in this situation the unwary buyer is eventually losing the vehicle and what they paid.
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
One more scam to watch out for; buyer pays you in cash for the large dollar item, you sign over title, at bank you find out the cash is counterfeit!!
Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
Hey stringmann, I'd walk a BIG circle around that one......

If the previous owners bank was willing to "short sell", and they had a buyer with cash in hand, you wanna bet that they would find you someone to talk to PDQ, account # or not.

These "scams" are becoming more difficult to detect, and they are fairly sophisticated. Even the old cashiers check, or bank check is not safe anymore, there have been occassions here where they have been counterfeit, or get this - stopped payment on. Yes, you can stop payment on a bank check.

Just as soon as we learn of an old scam, seems like a new one pops up. One of the best ways for sellers to get their money, as my bank recommends, is a wire transfer, but, be forewarned, my bank advises that you set up an account for the purpose of the transfer ONLY, then when the transfer comes in to you, you should transfer it out of the "new transfer account" into your "old account" thus rendering the "new transfer account" which received the initial money as a closed account, that way the transfer cannot be reversed, or revoked, or money withdrawn......

I know none of this helps you at this point, but maybe it will help another seller, and will also educate us all at what a scammer can do if and when they get their hands on you hard earned dollars..... Violence

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
FIRST I AM A LAWYER- If you are approached with a 'too good to be true" deal you can protect yourself by getting a lawyer to act as Closing Agent and he or she will assemble the paperwork, check titles and financing and arrange for payment to an escrow account (called Attorney Trust Account in Texas) and handle the transfer of the money and the clear title for you. It will generally cost a couple hundred, depending on outstanding liens or judgments that are filed or are being filed (Lis Pendens) and the cost of checking credit, warrants and liens. But for a Barth that you could be spending thousands for it will either result in a clear and complete sale and transfer, or an early collapse of the "offer", and that should be relatively inexpensive. Just check with your friends and acquaintances for a knowledgeable and fair lawyer.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. The reason I posted this topic was primarily to see if others have run into this (I hadn't, and have been in the mkt for a long time), and also to generate awareness in case more of these come along.
To be clear, I haven't sent and will not send a cent; common sense and caveat emptor both raised their voices instantly. However, I think this is more of a mess than a scam; the sellers lender was bought by a division of GE, and the seller is in a real money mess; so I suspect their 'escalation' dept is set to negotiate partial payments and 'quit claims' (Is that one of the terms?)on anything that beats a repo/auction dollar amt. I was more concerned about the buyer being in 'last place' here. So the suggestion that no $ changes hands until title is clearly legal and handed over w/ atty present is the only way I would do this, if at all. My son in law told me that he bought his house under a very similar scenario; seller was on the brink of foreclosure and out of state and bank took well below mkt because it was cheaper than utter liquidation. So I think that is what this is, and perhaps more of these are on the horizon?

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I would guess that very few folks' RV loans aren't upside-down at the moment, unless they've had both the RV and the loan for a number of years.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post