Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New to Barth's
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello, my name is Shannon. My husband Ken is a mechanic & one of his clients came in asking for some help finding info on her motorhome so she could get rid of it as it was her husband's who had passed away. My husband went out & looked at, he fell in love. She gave it to us for free. I was needing something to convert to a mobile dog grooming business, this is big but perfect. An answer to prayer. Even the DMV was super nice to this Widow & instead of waiting for 6-8wks for all the title transfers etc she just rewrote the title on the spot & gave it to us. Normally the vehicle is gifted to the Widow so she wouldn't have been able to gift it to us but they skipped that part too. Was a very blessed day on Monday.
We are here looking for some information on what it actually is or was. It's a 1978 Barth 24ft. That's all we know. Even the DMV didn't have anymore info on it. It was converted to a photography studio. My husband has looked all over the underside of it & there is no holes for water drains that are normally on a motorhome. Only the passenger side has 2 windows.
I'm also looking for parts like windshield & driver's window. The armrest on the seats doesn't move so it really makes getting into the driver's seat really hard. Anything we can do to replace or fix that? We just got it home last night after my husband drove it 2miles to the shop with locked up brakes. That was a smokey sight. It had sat for 16yrs. Last night he got the brakes working at his work & drove it the 10miles home as I was following him. He's got a lot more work to do on it but it should work out well for us. I will try to show some pictures, it's pretty dirty & mossy at the moment. Next paycheck we'll get started on this new project.

Posts: 11 | Location: Bonney Lake, WA | Member Since: 10-24-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the driver's side.

Posts: 11 | Location: Bonney Lake, WA | Member Since: 10-24-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the back & passenger side.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Near the driver area is the data tag. On the wall near the driver seat. Sometimes behind the curtain rod, if there is a curtain rod. Look around. Post the data tag and our members will tell you more about the old Barth

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would the Vin work? I looked all over the driver's side. It looks like some of the paneling was replaced & I couldn't find a tag anywhere. Not even sure where my husband found the Vin as it wasn't in the usual place of the corner dash, he just told me he found that under the hood. I did find a cool table on the passenger side.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
The arm rest is held in place by two bolts that are under the cover on the inside of the arm rest. Remove the screw covers and it will come off. Then you can lube the hinge that is part of the seat frame and it will rotate. With a little help. Sometimes you have to sand a little to remove rust but eventually it will lift properly. We did this to our 1982 coach and both seats now have working arm rests.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenshan:
Would the Vin work?

Yes let us please have a look at the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
Don't give up your diligent search for the data tag though. Also please check your private messages.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Bring it back to life!! I have found a wealth of help on this site with my old Barth, there are folks here that will give freely of any information and even extra parts. Welcome aboard.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom and Julie:
The arm rest is held in place by two bolts that are under the cover on the inside of the arm rest. Remove the screw covers and it will come off. Then you can lube the hinge that is part of the seat frame and it will rotate.

Thanks, my husband will look into that. It also dawned on me that the seats also swivel but can't swivel because of the wall the last person put up. I do like the wall since I will be grooming out of it & could use the door there. So if we get the armrest working I don't need the swivel seat option. So many ideas running through our heads.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Yes let us please have a look at the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
Don't give up your diligent search for the data tag though. Also please check your private messages.

Here's the Vin CPS3783307984.
Each time I go into the vehicle I have been looking for the data tag but I'm not seeing it. The wall was painted yellow so either the wallboard was replaced or painted over.

posted Hide Post
I found some close Vehicle Identification Numbers here, but not an exact match. It is a shame it was painted over.
Do you know how to check your private messages?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Look around the coach under tables, inside cabinets, you might find your coach # written in magic marker hidden on something. Should be in the 2300-2600 range.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Looks like a cool project. Should be great for a grooming van! Price was right and I imagine the interior is already open and ready to refit.

Windshields should be available. Guardian DW 730 and DW 731 are what you need. Check locally or at windshieldstogo.com. You may need to talk to a rep since they dont know what a Barth is. These windows were OEM for mid 80's GMC Astro and tiltcab trucks.

Keep us posted and welcome to our exotic Barth owner family of fruits, nuts, and vegetables. (Not sure which I am!)

Have barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been slow going stripping out this Barth. This whole thing is covered in bolts that go through to the outside so they are rusted. My husband has to remind himself a lot that the price makes it worth it. What can we use to fill these holes? He was thinking fiberglass but I wanted to check here.

This guy also had wires wired everywhere with one thing or another. We found a live wire when we thought every power source was off. So it's been a little nerve-wracking. There was a hole in the floor by the steps we didn't understand. Last night my husband pulled the carpet off it & discovered it is a big battery box. The hole was because the handle had broke so they cut a hole in it to pull the lid off. We will be using this box as a battery box again once fixed up. Here's the battery box we found.

Here is the before we started & now. The old AC has all the bolts out but won't come out so we think it's glued in really well.
This mid way picture was taken this morning before I started ripping up the the first layer of carpet.

Shannon

posted Hide Post
Yea, You did it. Blasted thru the ads and posted your pictures. Any sign of a coach number yet? I replied to your Private Message before I read this post.
Thank you for efforts in posting the pictures.