Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bonneville Salt Flats
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hey guys Going out to Bonneville in Sept.to help a buddy try for a Land Speed Record with a Vincent.Be kool to see another Barth on the salt.First timers so any tips would helpful.
TIA BRES

Posts: 37 | Location: St. Paul. Mn. USA | Member Since: 04-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
We that is so cool. Make sure you take pictures for the Barth Journeys. What's it going to be aout 150 deg out there then?

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
I saw the Vincent on the Discovery Channel special on the Salt Flats.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bres,
Small world..... I've run Vincents at the Flats probably a dozen times. Hell, I even know Steve, Wendy and Willow their dog!
I strongly suggest you keep your Barth off the salt. No matter how hard you try to clean it, that stuff will get inside of the smallest crack and eat away at everything for years until all you have is a pile of corroded junk. Have fun at the flats.... Wifey hates the place, or I'd come and watch.
Have fun !

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
What do you mean Vincents?

Is this the motorcycle you refer to?

How fast do you go?

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
This picture if from the Vincent Motors website http://www.vincentmotors.com/

posted Hide Post
Dave,
In a word NO, that picture isn't a Vincent. The guy who started Eagle One Products stole the use of the Vincent name from a company in England and has made a proto type with a Honda engine. I don't know what his intentions are but I suspect the worst. His name is Li (pronounced "LIE")so that must be a hint. Real Vincents have't produced since Dec 1955, and contrary to rumors were/are very good handling with properly maintained suspensions and good tires. There was a long spell when parts and information were difficult to get on this side of the pond, so they developed a less than stellar reputation. A stock 1000cc Vincent should run out in the 120's and a racing model (Black Lightning) on gas should easily get into the high 130's range, 150 and over on alky. The brakes were great at the time and properly done "adequate" today. The clutch is pure alchemy and works very well when you understand it, but....... that's not always easy to do.

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
aha!

1st month member
posted Hide Post
The Vincent streamliner has vintage 1940's engines. I believe 1948 models. Bill just think with one Dusie' sold, you could buy a couple of new loaded Prevosts. I passed up a pair of Ferrari Dinos for $5,000 in the early 80's. I'm still kicking myself.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, Wendy says Hi, did'nt see Steve. Going to have to take the Barth on the salt,taking our two dogs,no other way .It can't be much worst than driving in Minnesnowta in the winter,we use lots of salt here.What class did you run and what kind of speed.Have you every camped at the bend? What time does the track open - close - racing start & stop. How are the temps in Sept. TIA BRES

Posts: 37 | Location: St. Paul. Mn. USA | Member Since: 04-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I have been delinquent in getting this on here. This is our friend John of John and Irene (don't know your last name John). I can just feel the speed, and skinned knees.

posted Hide Post
Dave dont worry his helmetlooks shiny and no patches thats a good sign.Just remember there a two kind of bikers, those that have been down,and those that are going down:]:] BRES