Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Park rules
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted
Are there really parks that do not allow rigs over 10 years old? Also, do the national parks not allow rigs longer than 30'? I have heard these stories but surely if there are length limits they are there because of the physical size of the sites. Not all parks can keep out old long rigs, can they?? Tell me it isn't so.

Don

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
There are parks (very few) with the 10yo rule, but they don't actually enforce it. I believe it's there so they can keep out old clunkers in crappy shape. Smiler But to know for sure you'd just need to contact the park and ask. Same goes for the 30' rule. Almost all state/national parks are probably modernized enough by now to have room for larger rigs. I've stayed in multiple IL state parks with my 35' Class A with no problems.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
In Florida State Parks each site has a length restriction, based on the size of the site. It's posted with the other info when you go to the reservation site.
I don't believe any state or federal park would have a 10 year old rule but I know that some privately owned parks in Michigan, [at least one in the Hardy Dam area], has this rule and they do inforce it. Never been a concern of mine as I wouldn't stay at any place with such a rule anyway.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Just got home yesterday from a three thousand mile, five week long jaunt to the gulf coast. We stayed in three Georgia and one Alabama State Park and all accommodated the largest rvs.
... Little Ocmulgee, Georgia Vets and Gordonia in Georgia.
... Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores Alabama.
Will reccommend all of them even if you have a 40' Barth and especially if you like to golf too!
Don and Patty

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
Tom and I have travelled extensively over the years, and we have run into a couple of parks with the 10 year rule, not a place we would have stayed anyway, we gravitate towards State parks, and the Army Corps of Engineers parks. I also believe that the rule is designed for the "old clunkers", not for something such as a well maintained and clean motorhome. It has been our experience that parks who have a 30' limit, do so for a reason, the sites are simply not large enough, nor the roads to accommodate a larger RV. These places are really few and far between, but, they do exist.

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all,

I would think the 10 YO rule is an easy way to "Refuse Service To Anyone". Instead of saying your piece of junk is not wanted, the park owners can simply state their blanket policy of no older vehicles.

Don

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see how many of those private RV parks with the 10 year rule will keep it with the tremendous decline in new RV sales. They may be limiting themselves to a small population.

I must say that limiting "hippie" rigs and party buses is not something I would disagree with. I've been in campgrounds that got less than desirable due to the lack of oversight too!

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

We just returned from a 2 month trip down the west coast of Mexico and found that in some parks the noise can get unbearable into the early morning hours. On the weekends the local folks like to go to the beach and camp. They like to party until 3-4 in the morning and play music loud at those hours. Come Monday, all would be quiet again.

The park operators make money from these people and they do not want to alienate them so very little is done in the way of park rule enforcement.

This only happened in a couple of parks out of the many that we visited. Mostly the parks were filled with Canadians who are very quiet, friendly and know about all there is to know about travel in Mexico.

Don

Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Sorry last post should have been addressed to Corey not Rusty.

Don

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cantrade:
Also, do the national parks not allow rigs longer than 30'? I have heard these stories but surely if there are length limits they are there because of the physical size of the sites.

Don

There are a lot of 30 foot limit parks. They are usually older parks, built back when RVs were shorter.

It is not just site length, but also the sharpness of the turns in the road and placement of trees as well....... I know of several campgrounds where the roads are more of an obstacle than the site lengths. Some mountain roads are so twisty that they are quite daunting even before you get to the campground, like the wilderness area above Cachuma Lake. Heck, some driveways have RV length limits. Smiler

As an example, many of the California state beach parks are 30 ft limits. That is the official rule, but it depends on who is manning the gate that day, whether they are having a bad hair day and what sites are open. Some places actually have marks on the road at the entry booth to check your length, but that is rare. Our Barth is actually 30 1/2 feet, and I had to work hard to convince the gate person in on at least one occasion. I have also been let in to parks with shorter limits, just warned to be careful on the turns, and to stay out of a certain loop that was too tight. In some parks, the newer sites are longer, but more crowded together and in the less desirable settings. The first sites laid out, quite a while back, were the best chosen. An example is El Capitan State Beach. The sites close to the ocean are short and farther apart and nestled in the trees. The newer, longer sites are up next to the freeway. Some of the older sites at many parks are too short for our 30 ft rig, too.

HERE is a California site that has length figures. A couple are limited to 18 ft, which would rule out some sedans. Perhaps the states you plan on visiting have similar sites.

Another way to go would be to to look through a Woodall's or Trailer Life guide and check the places you might want to go, one by one. AAA camping maps also have length information. I know the Auto Club of Southern California map has all the length limits in a column, like the CA site above, so it is easy to pick a place by length. The shorter length limits are the smaller, more out of the way places, as a rule.

Our previous MH was 27 ft, and before that, several all the way down to 19 ft. Our experiences and preferences led us to have a 30 ft limit on our Barth. But we are rustic dry campers, and prefer to be as far into the woods as possible, and others may have different preferences.

We just came back from a stay at Red Rock Canyon st park, which has a 30 ft limit. Some of the sites would have accommodated a longer coach, but we didn't see any there. Only short ones. It seems that the parks with no cell phone or internet or local TV reception are not heavily populated. We had to drive to flat land to get the cell phone to even try to work.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post