Forums    General Discussions    Search function..order of searches..
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Search function..order of searches..
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted
Is there a way when utilizing the advance search option to change the order of the search to remain in the date order position? A members changeable preference that is.. seems each time I search, when my preference would be in date order (most recent thread on the subject search word I am interested in, shows up first), the 'relevance' order is the default choice ( meaning that as soon as I close my search it goes from the 'in date order ', I had chosen, back to the relevance option. Not wanting a permanent change, just a members choice that would remain, until the other option is chosen..

Any other options available..?

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Go to "Advanced Search"; one choice is "date order".

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned, I know that's an option..I want it a choice that I can always have w/o changing it.. Relevance is the default choice..Can't it be either for each member..?

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Mike, you must choose the date option every time you open a New search. You can use the "Refine Search" and the present search window will retain the date option during subsequent searches. Just make sure you use Refine Search" and not the "Search Feature" button. I think using the go back will set up a new search also. Refine is the only way to keep the parameters you have previously chosen. It will only retain parameters for that search session.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Mike, you must choose the date option every time you open a New search.

Guess I'm not getting the 'why does it have to be that way ' question answered.

Seems to me its an easy programing change to make it a choice that remains after you shut it down for each individual member..a 'tool' choice for lack of a better term..

Tried the 'refine search' advisement but if you leave the site and come back later, default 'relevance' still comes back.. no big deal I guess...nuff said for me..

M/C-W

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Try this link:

Search Date Sort

Not sure how the site tracks you with cookies. If it doesn't use them to track where you are in a search this should work.

If it works, bookmark/shortcut it so you can use it again.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Quinn.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
If that works I can change the shortcut links to follow that in the future.

Here are my only options. Check or don't check?
quote:
Search Results: Search Result Preferences

All Forum content searches will by default include detailed information per result row and will also group related topics per topic (associated post indented under topic).

You can change this default behavior below. Note that your users will still be able to customize these options when running their search queries.

Default Search Result Settings
_ Display Details
_ Group Posts by Topic
I've got the last two boxes checked. No other boxes are in there as an option.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Looks good, thanks all..

M/C-W

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Thanks Quinn and Mike/Cindi W, anything to make it easier for our members I'm on board. ALL of the Quick Links: have been changed to the new search order.

Quick Links: Home | Forums | Search | New Since Last Visit | Chat Room | PM

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Computer What are you thoughts on this Bill NY? Un-check the search by name exact match box. Most of the time I do not remember exactly what a members screen name is. I usually uncheck the box. If I forget to uncheck the box for exact match I usually get nothing. Most generally I missed a capitol letter or something. Get rid of the exact match box and I get a few choices to select from. hmm Is it possible to leave the "exact match box" box not checked by default?

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I forget to uncheck the box for exact match I usually get nothing.
If you leave the Author Name: blank, whether it's checked or not, you'll search every member. It doesn't matter if it's checked as long as you don't enter anything in the blank area.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

posted Hide Post
Many times I search just members posts. For example search steve and leave the exact match checked, you will get no results. Take the check out of the box and you will get L78steve, steve vw, cassie and steve, steve wi and a few more. When you get the results with the check box empty, you can get your own memory refreshed. Pick the steve you want check the box to plug in the exact "steve" you are looking for. The searrch can be used with all names that are a close match. I just chose "steve" because that is my dad's name.
Hopefully someone understands my thought process.

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully someone understands my thought process.
Oh I get it... I just can't do anything about it. ROTFLMAO

All kidding aside, it's not an option available to me. My options are limited to these two check boxes only.

Default Search Result Settings
_ Display Details
_ Group Posts by Topic

Anything past that for searching is user input. That "code string" that Quinn added was then only inserted into the Quick Links that I made up. I don't believe there's a code string that'll populate your desired search criteria without that box already checked.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums?a=srchf&sortType=1&groupType=1&reqWords=&ptyp_msg=Y&ptyp_poll=Y&ptyp_album=Y&x_display_post_details=1

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

posted Hide Post
Maybe Quinn can make one without the Exact match box checked?

Hey Quinn, you are the computer wizard. Is there a code string you can make with the Exact Match Box on the screen name not checked?