Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Insulation And Winter Comfort
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I am about to go look at a 1988 Regency for sale. By all accounts, it seems to be in very good condition.

In all the research I have done for a Barth, I have not stumbled across very much information about the quality of the insulation.

My plans include travelling during some colder weather and I want to know what current Barth owners have to say about the comfort.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

Posts: 6 | Location: Canada | Member Since: 04-29-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Insulation varies by the Barth. Mine has three furnaces, but not much insulation. The furnaces will keep it warm though.
Check to see it the holding tanks are insulated. There will be three individual tanks, Fresh water, Black Water, and Grey Water. Also check to see where the lines are routed to each tank. Are the lines insulated? Check also to see if the Barth has double pane windows?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much. Any information is helpful. I don't think I a very surprised by this. Now I have to decide how badly I want it!!

Tom

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Insulation varies by the Barth. Mine has three furnaces, but not much insulation. The furnaces will keep it warm though.
Check to see it the holding tanks are insulated. There will be three individual tanks, Fresh water, Black Water, and Grey Water. Also check to see where the lines are routed to each tank. Are the lines insulated? Check also to see if the Barth has double pane windows?

Posts: 6 | Location: Canada | Member Since: 04-29-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Tom, I have seen 1 Regency that was for sale that listed winter insulation. Had insulated windows, 6" insulated roof. Most Barths are 3 season Coaches that can be used in sub freezing weather.

Both of My Coaches have fresh water tanks and lines inside coach. Coaches with Basement mounted tanks have electric heaters in those compartments. Rusty set up his coach with a loop between his hot water and cold that circulate heated water into storage tank.

I will pour antifreeze windshield fluid in grey and black water tanks to prevent freezing.

Can a Barth be used in cold weather, Yes. Is it the most practical, No.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Having two coaches allow some comment and comparison. I have run the 86 more in cold temps but the 98 seems OK too.

The 86 has ~2" fiberglas insulation in floor, walls and ceiling. The windows are single pane. The freshwater tank and lines are inside but the holding tanks are exposed underneath.

I made plexiglass inserts for the windows to reduce drafts and heat loss. They work very well. If you empty the holding tanks well they can be winterized with a small amount of antifreeze.

The 86 had 3 furnaces! I removed the center one when it died, 2 are plenty even below 20. The dash heat was poor so I installed an additional heater for use underway. Kevin gave me a heater setup from an old Ford truck, complete with heater core, plenum, and fan. I mounted it under the sofa and hooked up the ducts, fan and water hoses to the engine heat loop. That thing really works! It will heat the whole front half of the coach easily. There is a thread on that here on this site.

I have run in single digit weather. The coach was warm and comfortable on the road and parked.

The 98 has thin bubble wrap type insulation, not as good. There are double pane windows. I strongly recommend these as they are warmer, less drafty and don't rattle as much.

The 98 has an Atwood heat pump AC that heats well, down to about 40. Only downside is the ducts are in the ceiling, it has a hard time heating the floor.

The 98 has a single gas furnace with a central hot air duct under the floor. Since all the tanks are enclosed and the heat duct runs through the compartments, all the contents stay warm. Good even heat and warm floors too. I strongly recommend the central heat system.

In general, the insulation on the 86 is better but the central heat and double pane windows in the 98 make it almost as good. When parked at an RV site, I use small electric floor heaters, good down to about 20.

Consider an engine preheater if you cold start very often.

The best solution: Point south, drive until warm and bright!

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post