Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A Masons question
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
Hey I have a question. Any of you guys belong to the Masons, Shriners etc. I noticed at the last rally a ton of the older guys were part of these groups. Are any of the boomers out there joining these groups or is it just an older persons thing??

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I am a 32nd degree Mason. Been one for twenty six years. We have quite a few boomers in our lodge. Great organization and good people.

Al

Posts: 75 | Location: Villa Rica, Ga, USA | Member Since: 03-15-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
32nd degree mason since 1986.
mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave,
are you a friend of dr. bob and bill w.? this question comes from a comment you made on another thread. i've known them since june 1st 1979.

mike,

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

Mike Cropper and Morrie Cothrin are the only two people who frequent this site that I have ever met in real life. I have been emailing back and forth so many folks for such a long time I may refer to them as friends.

I don't know what thread you are referring to.

The purpose of this question was just for my own education. I have a lot of friends here in Minnesota and ton of colleagues in the electronics industry and I don't know of any of them who belong to any of these organizations. But I bet at least half of the guys attending the last rally were members so I was just curious.

When I was a kid in Oxnard, CA my parents belonged to the Eagles lodge. I know my dad always wanted to join the Elks but he was a construction worker and the Elks were professionals so he wasn't invited. When I got out of the Army my dad talked me into joining the VFW, but I had quit drinking at that time and that is what the VFW seemed to be all about. So all of this is just plain curiosity.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike: The thread with the Bill W. and Dr. Bob reference may have been one I was posting on... I met Bill about 18 months ago. Way back when I was working construction, in my 20's, I was invited to become a Mason... I passed, and still question the wisdom of that decision. I guess the point is that yes, younger men are also invited. Any the Mason/Shrine organization is in a WAY different league than the Moose, Elks, VFW, etc.

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Ditto Bill, I quit drinking and smoking for good 22 years ago after being a three pack a day guy since 16 years old.

On the cold clear winter days here in Minnesota I can smell the smoke from a car when it drives by. On restaurant one of my customers likes you have to walk through the bar to get to the restaurant area. I am almost wheezing by the time we get there.

posted Hide Post
I've also known Bill W since 1979. Bres

Posts: 37 | Location: St. Paul. Mn. USA | Member Since: 04-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MASONS? My wife and I own an Avis rent a car agency here in Indy and just this week in from of our business which is 82nd. street the busiest street in Indiana. a bill board pop up. It shows four differnt crests or symbols saying " INDIANAS FOUR MASONS ". Are there four nation wide, and what are they?. My father inlaw was a mason and was in construction. I am sure the Indiana Masons are looking for new, and quite possibly young member. I would love to hear more from someone in the know so to speak about the four MASONS. Thank you. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post