Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Help Linda Please
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I first started out trying to find why she was having a problem posting. I had no problem signing on, but decided to post this here, under her screen name. So without further comment.
Bill N.Y.
quote:
Hi Bill,
I am having problems trying to post a question on your site. My problem is
quite simple and maybe you can answer this for me. My mom has a 1978 Barth
27' motor home. We are trying to sell it and have a few people interested;
the problem is the VIN starts with a S according to the current title and
the previous title. My mom and the mechanic swear it is a 5. It is 5 hours
from me so I can't see it for myself or drive it to the courthouse in Iowa
for them to inspect it where it is registered as it is in the shop in
Northern Illinois. Do you know what the VIN's started with in 1978? Can you
help? I would appreciate any help you can give me as I have a man from MI
that wants to drive all the way to buy it and I do not want him to waste his
trip. You can email me or you can call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx as I have to leave
the computer for now until 5pm or so and I would like to call back the buyer
today and let him know. Thanks in advance! I appreciate it!

Linda

Posts: 1 | Location: Iowa | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Linda, This is entirely a guess but and educated guess. Many Barths built at that time had a "S" as the first character of what is the Barth data number, not the chassis VIN number. If the next two characters after the "S" are 77 or 78, I can almost assure you that is the case. There may be a tag on the wall beside the driver that has both the Data tag number as well as the VIN number. The Data tag number will be something like 7801 where that is the year and month it was built then a four digit number in the 2000's that is the sequence in which Barth built that particular coach, then a 2 digit number that tells the length. In your case 27, followed by MC for motor coach followed by one or two numbers or letters for other information.

That unit is probably built on a Chevrolet Chassis with a VIN number that looks like 1AAAA11A1A1111111. Please understand my example is only to show which digits are numeric and which digits are alpha.

It sounds like someone titled the coach using the wrong number sometime in the past and now with computer data bases it will not accept the Data Number.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!
Nick Cagle

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the 17-digit VIN mandated by the Gummint wasn't in effect until 1981, so this one could have any combo of letters and/or numbers.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
The VIN tag should be located on the exterior side of the firewall, accessible thru the front engine compartment door, riveted in the area directly in front of steering column.

From the '78 Owners Manual, the VIN order is:

(C) for Chevy, [option: (T) for GMC]

(P) for Forward Control

(Y) for 454cid, [option: (L)for 350cid

(3) designates one ton series

(7) body style (RV chassis)

(8) last digit of yr. built (1978)

(Z) Detroit assembly plant

The last six digits are seq. Build #

Having said that, MY '78 VIN starts off
with: CPS.....I'm told the "S" indicated a 454cid w/forged crank, but who knows?

At any rate, "C" for the first digit should be a safe bet.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Linda, My 1977 Barth vin starts with an "S". Hope this helps.

Neil.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil T.:
...My 1977 Barth vin starts with an "S".
Neil, what are the first five digits including the "S"?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Bill, The VIN is S77072264MC27S3. I happen to have the title in my hand. I will check the VIN on the Barth when I get home to be sure they are the same although I am sure I checked them when I bought it.

Neil.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
My 1976 number is S76041865MC27SP, plate on barth is the same as title.

Ralph

Ralph Glover
1976 27' Barth
P-30 454
1998 Tracker Toad

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Well, go figure...The info I gave above comes directly from Pg 24 of an orange covered book entitled: 1978 Motor Home Chassis Owner's and Driver's Manual published by Chevrolet.....

First letter choice is either "C" or "T"...."S" is not an option. Maybe we talking about a '78 Barth on a '77 chassis?......

Sorry if I gave bad info Frowner

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
To Neil T, REGLOVER, & Lee,
What you have posted is exactly what I was trying to explain. In each of these cases the coach was titled using the Barth Data tag number instead of the Chassis VIN number. I don't know that this is necessarily a mistake, it is just not what is normal. I would rather have mine titled with the Data Tag number because now you get in a hassle (personal experience) with the Department of Motor Vehicles about the year of manufacture. They want to use the year of manufacture of the Chassis which in almost all cases will age your coach one year and make it worth less.

Lee, your info wasn't bad!!

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Lee, on my 1976 the tag shows the number S76041865MC27SP. then immediately following this number is CPY3763303739. The S760 is the number on the title.

Ralph Glover
1976 27' Barth
P-30 454
1998 Tracker Toad

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Well, this is one way to get all of these data tags... I hope you're getting all of these Nick. Wink

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, this is one way to get all of these data tags... I hope you're getting all of these Nick. Wink

As luck would have it, these are the same nice guys that had previously posted their tags, so I had both of them. It is interesting to see the data tag used to register the coaches. I really wish that was the law.
Nick

Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
From '73 thru '87, it appears that the Chevy chassis VIN methodology changed at least once, maybe more......

This site seems to either reduce the confusion or add to it....Maybe it will help somebody.....Go to:

http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/73-87specs.html

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I am the "man from MI" who is intending to buy Linda's mother's Barth. Linda reports the serial number to be S (or erroneously "5") followed by 7911......
So, I feel certain that the model year should be 1979, not 1978. It seems unlikely to me that a coach built as late as Nov., on the hi-volume P30 chassis, would be on a left-over 1978 truck chassis. There are multiple issues with the correct identification and registered VIN, I think. From experience, I know that the strict MI Secretary Of State offices (like DMV) require a police officer to certify the **VIN** accuracy of a vehicle having an out-of-state title associated with a MI title application.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post