Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel Mileage FYI
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/10
Picture of roman
posted
We left Ohio April 28 heading to Alaska. As we were cruising along on I-80, I-84 and I-5 I was hoping and sometimes praying for fantastic fuel mileage. A few RV'ers I've talked with claim 10 to 13 mpg driving larger coaches than mine. I must admit that I often drive at or slightly over the speed limit which means that most of the time I was cruising in the 65 to 75 mph range. We also had some pretty stiff side and head winds and many miles of construction with lower speed limits. The 7.5 KW diesel generator was used a couple times but only for short periods of time, 1/2 hour max. From Ohio to Iowa we got 9.51 mpg. From Iowa to Nebraska 9.10 mpg, from Nebraska to Wyoming 8.92 mpg, Wyoming to Utah 8.81 mpg, Utah to Oregon 8.13 mpg, Oregon to Washington/Canadian Border 8.28 mpg. The lowest fuel price was $2.099/gal and the highest was $2.499/gal.

1993, 34', Regency, Widebody
300 HP Cummins
6 spd Allison, Spartan Chassis

Posts: 73 | Location: Alaska | Member Since: 03-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Roman, what is your weight? sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
Roman
Were you towing anything???? Those numbers sound fairly decent though. Big Grin

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
As a class, only fisherman are bigger liars than motor home drivers bragging about mileage. Or maybe the fishermen actually rank second.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Sounds like pretty typical mileage, and you are to be congratulated for getting into the 9's! Smiler I have math that got me over 10mpg ONE time on a 120-mile stretch home in summer 2007, and in hindsight I'm still not sure if that really happened or if my math was screwed up somewhere!

quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
As a class, only fisherman are bigger liars than motor home drivers bragging about mileage. Or maybe the fishermen actually rank second.

Hehe, that's probably true! eBay and other sale ads are the worst, with many claims of mileage number in the teens. Plan for 7-8mpg and you'll usually be right and sometimes pleased with the real results.

Those gas prices don't sound bad at all, with last summer's $4+/gallon numbers from last summer still fresh in many of our minds. I filled up at $3.61 at one point last year and felt like it was the deal of a lifetime. Roll Eyes I wonder what's in store for us this year...

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roman
posted Hide Post
The mileage reflects a lightly loaded coach. By that I mean not a lot of stuff in the storage bays or inside the motorhome. The fresh water storage tank was normally near full and the holding tanks were usually near empty. We are not towing a vehicle, but I wish we were as some of the streets on the SE side of Portland OR were extremely narrow. I've been meaning to stop at a scale and weigh the coach but have not taken the time but will publish the weight when I do.

Roman

300 HP Cummins

Posts: 73 | Location: Alaska | Member Since: 03-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I would also think that the 6-speed was very helpful.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Roman, you're doing better than most, and those claiming 10-13 mpg from a 40 footer are full of [expletive pre-deleted Big Grin]. However, running at 55 or 60 should give you an extra 1+ mpg.

I just finished a 3000 mile round trip and got an average of 10.5 mpg, with pretty stiff headwinds for all but about 400 miles. My coach is probably a good 8K lbs.(GVW) lighter than yours. I run, generally, at around 60-62 mph.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roman
posted Hide Post
We are home in Alaska now and much relieved. Roughly three weeks on the road was enough for me. The trip went smoothly and the coach ran very well. The final tally on the fuel mileage is. 9.8 mpg was the best we got and 8.1 mpg was the worst. I have not done the math but my best guess is we averaged 9.2 mpg for the 5100 mile trip.

300 HP Cummins