Forums    General Discussions    A membership challenge!!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A membership challenge!!
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Quote: Sometimes the day-to-day postings are borderline trivial...Smiler

Well, I'm guessing that this is about Doug Smiley filling up space when nobody else is inclined to write...about anything!!

So I am challenging everybody to buckle down and write... ask questions and give comments
and learn how to post pictures!!
Tell us about your Barth!! What you like---and Hate!!
What you are doing with it! Going Somewhere?? We might meet Smiler
Just because your buddy is not on the go doesn't mean you have nothing to say Smiler

And the more that you write means that Doug Smiley will not post....

Remember there are lots of us who, for various reasons, really appreciate
what you do with you Barth and if $$$$ precludes us from meeting
...we still enjoy Barthmobile.com

SO...any comments???

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
StaRV II has been in the shop for a few weeks getting a new turbo, muffler, and injector pump.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
I took the Barth for a 36 mile workout last Sunday and operated the gen for an hour. Every went well. It has been in the 60's here for the past few days. Otherwise been a very cold winter.
Hoping everyone has wonderful spring and summer.
Ray

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/16
posted Hide Post
I watched our '85 Regal Barth, sitting parked for the most part, next to it's owner's home for 6 years in our small town. Since we already had our '85 Fleetwood Jamboree (23') and '85 Winnie Chalet (31'), we sure didn't need another motorhome. Oh-I forgot our 21' Winnie 621, an all aluminum Class C we got for $600.00. Yes-it's a project for the future. Actually, we wanted an Airstream Argosy motorhome and had gotten close a while back.
I digress...One day, a "For Sale" sign appeared in the windshield and I wanted to stop but hubby didn't think it was a good idea. A feed store across the street sells consignment vehicles and two days later we saw the Barth in his yard-that cinched it. We stopped, took it for a ride and bought it. We were told another couple was coming to get the Barth when we handed over the check. That close....
The rest is history. The Winnie Chalet is going to be sold as is the Jamboree, and the Winnie 621 is still a project (it will be customized). The Barth will be our retirement/traveler since we have family spread over the continent and love to "go home" now and then.
Things we love about it:
#1. hubby is from the aircraft industry so aluminum and rivets are his thing aside of wings, ailerons, etc. So, he is in love.
#2. We are Chevy people-know pre-emission very well.
#3. The amenities are wonderful for this generation RV. The Barth ride surpassed other RVs we own/owned.
Things we don't love (really wish were different) about our Barth:
#1. Almost the entire interior is blue. Blue is a good color; just not all blue.
#2. Our model has the rear bath. We would prefer the mid coach bath. This way, when grandchildren camp with us who sleep either front or back have privacy making the midnight run for the potty. Plus, they don't wake Grandma or Grandpa on their way.
#3. We really wish Barth had designed a spare tire compartment like Winnebago and Fleetwood did. Covered, protected with a lock.
We haven't explored the Barth fully yet-just got it last Oct and had to get through winter but now we are at it. We'll know more as the weather warms.
As said before, we wouldn't even think about parting with this coach. We are anxious to hit the road with it.
Post Script: I remember as a child seeing the Barth script on the front of a yellow school bus on the West Coast where I'm from....I never forgot that image and always thought, "What a strange name!" Who knew....

Posts: 77 | Location: IN | Member Since: 09-30-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Have, for the first time myself, changed the motor oil, tranny fluid, and engine coolant, (brake bleed next). Spent a lot of time on my back deciphering the mechanics - strongly advised for new owners. Don't wait till trouble arises.

And even more time admiring the mechanics. Awoke to my wife looking under the coach, calling my name. She had pulled in and thought I had suffered Sanford's "Big one". Maybe a Devine message that it's time to get on the road. While warming the engine to check for leaks I really enjoyed the simulated driving - wish my driveway wasn't so challenging.

BTW, is it common for the back-up camera and door step to be powered by coach 12v circuits? As a safety measure I always shut off the coach electrical during storage. Neither would work until I powered the coach electrical.

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, is it common for the back-up camera and door step to be powered by coach 12v circuits?

Yes

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Here's an attempt at photobucket:

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Is it supposed to be a Motorcycle? If it is SUCCESS! Thumbs Up If it is your Barth it must have gotten wet and shrunk. Just kidding it looks good!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Kevin, did you find your quarter yet?

Computer cheers

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Here's to Kevin! I am trying to once and for all seal my roof. Given this is a '93 and has been sealed, patched who knows how many times I decided to strip it completely. Found that the skylights are installed on a 2x4 frame that was wrapped with thin aluminum. The frame is just wood and it has reacted with the aluminum (just like the compartment doors!) and there are pin holes all over the sides. So off with the frame and a new one is built with White Oak and wrapped with copper. Next the aluminum wrap was not completed at the corners so each corner has an open area. I also found the aluminum was placed in a bed of silicone and then a rubber sheet applied across the joint, and then riveted with the open ended pop rivets. I am trying out eternabond tape between the copper wrap (which I intend to solder so it completely wraps the wood frame) and my diamond plate roof, and omit the rivets, and then caulk with Sikaflex 715 at the edges and joints. It is advertised as a structural sealant that does not crack? Here's hoping!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Smiley:
Quote: Sometimes the day-to-day postings are borderline trivial...Smiler

Well, I'm guessing that this is about Doug Smiley filling up space when nobody else is inclined to write...about anything!!

As for me, I don't consider your postings trivial, Doug. Since I am not buying or selling a coach the sightings, etc do not interest me but they are not trivial (unless they are duplicates). Many come to this site to look for coaches and info.

Besides, especially if no one is posting I would not discourage any one to post. Let's keep this thing going.

Holy crap, Kevin, it looks like you're busy! confusion I've been meaning to get in touch, will call soon.

Just finished the exhaust work. Will post directly.

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/19
Picture of Sneelock
posted Hide Post
Okay, I apologize in advance for the length but even though this is maybe more of a 'journeys' topic, it seems like it might fit here as well.

We just returned from a late-winter four week 3500 mile road trip through several western states in our Barth Monarch. Although there were a few issues to sort out by and large the coach performed flawlessly. The trip was about half boon docking and half RV parks. The first three days were spent just driving (I prefer not to drive more than 300 miles +/- at a time). Our first full day of sight-seeing was in Zion. Spent a few days in that general area then down to Grand Canyon where we used one of the boon docking sites just outside the park boundary in the Coconino National Forest.

After that boon docking spells in Sedona and KofA Wildlife Refuge for a few days each. Once in southern Arizona business took us to San Diego for a few days, then the plan was to head back toward Oregon via Hwy 395. High winds and snow forced us to bypass one of the best sections between Bishop and Susanville - detouring back into Nevada. We also had to battle weather in southern and central Oregon actually forging through some scary snow-covered passes in the Cascades just before they closed.

We knew we were pushing our luck trying to visit so many high altitude destinations so early in the season - quite a few of weren't even open for the season yet. Still, it was a great trip, we had a wonderful time and the Barth never let us down.

Posts: 28 | Location: Pacific City, OR | Member Since: 08-12-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post