Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Looking for a trailer
 Login now/Join our community

posted

Looking for a small Barth trailer 18 to 22 ft
And I have no idea what this should sell for.
It's been difficult to track down previous sales.
Any guidance would be much appreciated
Thanks
Sam

Posts: 13 | Location: Connecticut | Member Since: 03-16-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samthetileman:

Looking for a small Barth trailer 18 to 22 ft
And I have no idea what this should sell for.

Thanks
Sam

MONEY.... somewhere between $500 and $4000 depending on condition, upgrades.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
If you go to Ebay and type in Barth you will see what a overpriced one is not worth but what any one can look like with some work. All who wander are not lost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One on eBay looks like it just sold over 10,000 .
Is that way out of line

Posts: 13 | Location: Connecticut | Member Since: 03-16-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Yes!

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am the sucker(buyer) that overpaid for the barth trailer. I had no idea what a barth was when I made the bid. I am feeling a little fleeced based on the $500 to $4,000 comment....

There is not enough of them to determine market. Airstreams of that era go for more though.

Posts: 3 | Location: Troy, MI | Member Since: 03-16-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forums! If that trailer was actually in as-listed condition, if you overpaid, it wasn't by much -especially considering what vintage Airstreams and Avions go for. If it's been well-maintained inside, it's reasonable. The exterior polishing alone would have cost a lot.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
This is the first full professionally restored trailer we've seen so I don't think we really have a value comparison. If you look at Airstreams of this era restored like this, your talking about significantly more money. In my opinion, the Barth trailer is one of the best, if not the best made trailer. The Barth name is not as well known now as other vintage trailers because of the rarity of our trailers. I think as people find out about the quality we will see the value increase. Considering that this was a professional restoration, I don't think the price was out of line. Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum. Hope to see you in Milford, I'd love to see that trailer, although your trailer will make ours look really bad.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
EarlMcQ
I think you made a good choice.
I felt I over paid also.
After owning mine for less than a year I have realized I own something special. The certainty of a well maintained Barth is easily worth what few extra $$$ I paid.
The web site is great and depth of knowledge available from a great membership is worth the price of admission.
Welcome to a new addiction!

Posts: 85 | Location: Athens ga | Member Since: 07-11-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hank Stinky and Rusty, I really appreciate your input! Do you think that the Barth is built better than the Airstream? is it wood or metal structure?
This trailer has new plumbing and possibly new electric, but the inside looks like it is worn out, and in ok condition, not restored. More of survivor condition.

all comments welcome! Thanks again
Earl

Posts: 3 | Location: Troy, MI | Member Since: 03-16-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stinky, what and when is something going on in Milford?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Milford III late May 2014.

Barths don't have the slick looks and generous radii of the Airstreams, but that results in more interior space. And because they don't have the panache of the Airstreams and Avions, they're far cheaper to own. They're probably built stronger than Airstreams due to the internal birdcage (similar to aircraft design), although that's academic unless you roll it; the Barth motorhomes are of the few that can survive a rollover without pulverization.

One of the Barth's early employees told of Bob Barth's first trailer - he had it put in the parking lot and had a wrecking ball dropped on it to show its robust construction.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Here is the patent for the Barth construction, along with diagrams:
http://www.google.com/patents/US3282603

It is also available here on the site.

Airstream (postwar), Avion, Silver Streak, Streamline and a couple others were true aircraft construction, I think. I have owned vintage Airstream and Avion. They were aluminum body STRUCTURE with riveted aluminum sheet exterior skin AND interior surface -- two metal eggs. Barth was not.
Airstream has a STRONG cult-like following, less so for Avion. However, Avion was built better -- structurally and interior.

My off-hand remark was deliberately vague and non-specific. We have recently had discussions as to what Barth motorhomes are "worth". Enough have changed hands that we can see ranges and trends -- not so for the Barth trailers, despite hundreds having been built.
Even with the market comps available for the motorhomes, what any one is "worth" is what a willing buyer pays a willing seller.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Earl McQ
I'd like to see some photos of the inside if you'd like to share
If it looks like the ones on EBay I wouldn't say it's too rough
Thanks

Posts: 85 | Location: Athens ga | Member Since: 07-11-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/17
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32 | Location: Highland, Michigan | Member Since: 02-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post