Tools
Reply To This Topic

Memorial Day 2009
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
As we get ready to roast weenies and celebrate another long 3 day weekend with family and friends, please try to remember the true meaning of this day.

It is to remember our men and women who have fought and died for our country and to protect our way of life.

Freedom isn't free, someone paid for it!!! God bless the US Military, our Allies, and other unsung heroes both here and abroad.

From wikipedia:
Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (May 25 in 2009). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. men and women who died while in the military service. First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War (it is celebrated near the day of reunification after the civil war), it was expanded after World War I to include American casualties of any war or military action.

< Picture credit:
< Cox & Forkum Editorial Cartoons

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill. This web site is frequented by a bunch of us older Vets from wars that the current generations just read about in history books. It is nice to know that at least a few of you remember why everyone has the day off.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
FWIW I remember as a small child, when it was still "Decoration day," visiting my grandparents grave with my parents. I saw a small group of old men in faded blue uniforms placing a wreath before an obelisk marked "G.A.R." I asked my father what "G.A.R." meant and he said it was the "Grand Army of The Republic." I asked him what that was, & he said it was soldiers who fought in the Civil War.

I'm a veteran of WW II & Korea, & the older members of my generation are about the age of those Civil War vets then. I thought they looked incredibly old. I guess I better not look in the mirror today.

No family Memorial Day visits for us this year. My deceased parents, one sister, & a brother-in-law are in Portland, Or. His wife, my oldest sister, is in Colville, WA. Another sister is in Redwood City, CA, one brother is in Traverse City, MI, the other brother & his wife are in Minneapolis. A sister-in-law's ashes are in the ocean off Waikiki & a grandson's ashes are scattered on his favorite mountain top nearby.

I suppose these are signs of how families dispersed after WW II, & one reason why the holiday morphed from one designed to care for the graves of departed family members, to one that honors our veterans.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My Old Man and his three brothers served in the USN in WWII, odd for four guys from Kansas. But Dad and his best friend and his brother Hap decided in '38 to go to California. There wasn't much there in the way of jobs except agriculture, which they had left Kansas to escape.

So one Sunday, they went to the recruiting offices to enlist. All the Army guy would offer was infantry, so they came back Monday and enlisted in the Navy. All three (and the two other brothers who followed the Old Man's example and became sailors) survived WWII. All are deceased except the brother, Bob, who never was wounded, but lost a leg to a drunk driver several years ago.

I've lost a lot of classmates (USNA '64, as well as others I was there with), some to enemy action, others to accidents, but they're all lost. And all of them count, because we never knew when something would go wrong.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
http://www.abmc.gov/home.php
http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries.php
Thanks to the many we may have a happy Decoration Day Week-end

Posts: 1067 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Every time Memorial Day comes, I too, remember going to the cemetery to lay wreaths or flowers on the graves of our fallen heroes. Later, when I was old enough to drive a car, my job was the same--go to the Sewickley Cemetery, near Pittsburgh, Pa. and honor those heroes. It's been 42 years since I left that town, and sometimes I wish I never had because my roots are there, literally buried with my childhood heroes.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Every year I furnish and install a large sound system at the City of Allegan's cemetery for the post-parade speeches and tributes. I do this as my very small part in saluting ALL who served our country. This year, however, I must be with my sister on Long Island who is in ICU fighting a battle of her own.

I can't be in Allegan tomorrow, but I can still say THANKS.

God Bless you all.

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post