Forums    General Discussions    Tag Axle History..
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tag Axle History..
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted
Am curious on when and what models and length's did tax axles appear. Seems if you have , say a 32/34/36' unit, you may or may not have tags. Was it the specific chassis and/or wheelbase that necessitated the added axle or..? just wondering..

Mike W

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Tag axles were used on the larger GM chassis coaches (Regals, technically Regal SE). I believe the shortest coach with a tag was 30 ft and the longest 34, maybe 36?

The axles were not GM or Barth. Barth used a local company to install axles made by Neway, either TA-3 or TA-5. As far as I can tell, these axles were never used on any other coaches. We have some info on the TA-3 but none on the TA-5..

The earliest one was about 1974, most are Regals from the 80's. After about 89 very few were made because the Ford/Oshkosh chassis became available. The Ford was rated about 2,000 lb higher GVW so they could be used for heavier coaches without modification. Most Regals from then on were non tag Ford powered.

The Regals with the tag axles are (in my opinion) the best of the Regals. In addition to the extra axle and wheels' weight rating, you have additional brakes. The tag axle air bag suspension is driver adjustable, allows for adjustment of ride height with varying loads. The additional axle and shocks provide a more stable ride.

In addition to the axle, when the frames were lengthened, an additional 8 inch frame was added, spanning the entire original frame and the extension. This raised the floor height and provides 8 inches more height in the storage compartments below. Also makes the frame much stiffer.

Between the additional frame stiffness, additional tires, shocks and brakes and adjustable air bags the ride and handling of the P37 chassis is greatly improved.

I bought my 33ft Barth SE without knowing this but I am glad I did. I just wish we had more documentation on the TA-5 I have.

I am planning a "Gimme a brake, part 3" thread soon when I rebuild my tag brakes. I will compile info on the axle parts: brake shoes, drum, cylinder, bearings and seal.

I will also attempt document the unusual brake system. The tag axle has a power drum system. It is a vacuum boost system with a separate master cylinder. I do not have any info on these components, hope to find some. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5188 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
OF INTEREST?

http://www.bepco.biz/sites/def...ACUUM%20PRODUCTS.pdf

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info..very informative.. So.. these coach lengths are also available without tag axles, correct? Sound like it was the chassis manufacturer that
may not have had a long enough WB and required a tag to spread out the weight/overhang/etc.. So if looking for a tag-less 30-34/6' coach, looks like Ford/Oshkosh Chassis are the contenders? Cummin's 8.3/5.9 would also be my engine choice..

I realize I am asking a number of questions that take a while to answer. I did do a search for this info..Didn't locate exactly my question answered..

Thanks again all..

Mike W

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The Regal coaches were all gas pullers, GM chassis and 350 or 454 engines until about 1989. After that we see some GM and mostly Ford with 460 V8.

Some GMs were up to 31ft without tag axles. Most over 30ft had tags. Some Fords went to 34ft I think. I'm not aware of any Fords with tag axles.

The diesel pusher options started with the Regencies in about 83-87. They had MCC chassis, 8.2 Detroit Diesel and most were 35 ft long. They were dropped about 87 I think.

After about 87 the diesel pusher options were both Breakaways and Regencies. Spartan and Gillig chassis were used, with 5.9 or 8.3 Cummins or 3208 Cat engines. They range from about 30 to 40 ft.

Someone else could fill you in on the diesel variations, I'm mostly the GM guy.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5188 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post