Forums    General Discussions    Is that one big Barth or what?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Is that one big Barth or what?
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
...maybe Bill can switch from truck mechanic to a position with the CIA or Hollywood!
And work with the very people who staged the "Moon Landings"? Ooops
hide I thought you were my friend? Tin Foil Hat Club
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
Somewhere there's a "busnut," who likes the Barth paint scheme. Maybe he graduated from a Barth & has fond memories.
Not even close. But thanks for playing. Big Grin

You might not like what I'm about to say... But, if it's true, you don't go and shoot the messenger.

Here is a 38' 1989 Barth. The first year that Barth used this paint scheme.

The coach below is from 1987. Barth couldn't have originated this paint scheme if that 1987 unit looks like this? hmm

Would anyone like to fathom a guess as to when Barth made their first widebody? You know, the one with the extra strip of glass in the middle.

That's right... 2 years after that 1987 coach was made. The 1989 Barth Widebodies came out 2 years later.

Anyway... Looks like we'll be seeing some first time members in the Chat Room tonight at 9pm.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I tried to enter the chat room, but I just get a brown screen with a little stick man that rotates, then nothing. The suspense is killing me.

Maybe it's a setting issue. Just a brown page, no words.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
we are here - we saw you enter, but then you left - try it again

your wife made it into the chat room... it must be a setting on your computer

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So now that we know what it is, I have a question that has had me wondering since the early days when we chose a Barth over many other choices. I know the X brand has a custom built chassis, but what do they use for framing material? Is it aluminum like a Barth or SS or regular steel? I always assumed regular steel.

(sorry folks, Bill will need to expose the X brand)

Corey

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
I wish Bill would hurry up, I want to go to bed..........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carlflack:
I wish Bill would hurry up, I want to go to bed..........
Okay, for those that didn't make it to the Chat room, the coach is a 1987 Newell 40ft widebody just purchased by Bill and Sonja.

They have given their Barth to the kids but will remain members and friends with the rest of us.

When looking for examples we found all those other Newells with the Barth paint scheme and it seems that Newell was using it before Barth. Newell also had a widebody before Barth.

Bill and Sonja, you have a beautiful coach. Hope you enjoy it for years.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I really hope that everyone had fun with this. Big Grin I know that I did.
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
...the coach is a 1987 Newell 40ft widebody just purchased by Bill and Sonja.
All of those pictures, from all 5 of those coaches, were from 1987 Nick. It seems that it was their theme design for that year.

BTW: Bill and Sonja are making the leap from a 1988 Barth - 33 Ft. SE tag axle to this coach. Congratulations!!!

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Now we have GOT to see some interior photos!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottydl:
Now we have GOT to see some interior photos!

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
I'M IN LOVE!!!!

That interior is amazing for a rig of that vintage, much more than I expected. And my expectations weren't low by any means!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
... it's OK. Smiler

That is one beautiful bus!!!

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
If envy is a sin, well guilty as charged. Call me a sinner Smiler

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Incredible quality and workmanship. Is that the original fabric, etc?

It appears that Barth and Newell must have been competing over the same dwindling demographics in the mid to late 90s, Newell won! The purpose built, monocoque chassis is a big differentiator. I'd still like to know what the frame material is on this era and later Newells.
Corey

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Newell welds up their own steel chassis and they don't really have a frame. I don't remember what they call it but it is built much like a bridge. They have had success with this design up to 45' but the 48'ers started bouncing in the middle. To the best of my knowledge they dropped the 48'.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
...but the 48'ers started bouncing in the middle. To the best of my knowledge they dropped the 48'.
I signed up on the Newell Classic Forum Website and left a posting. Here is their response from one of the moderators.
quote:
Originally posted on the Newel Forum by fulltiming:
Welcome Bill. I have always liked Barths. Hang around, we can always use the counsel and guidance of a DD mechanic. I am a member of one of the Blue Bird Wanderlodge forums. I find that although some of the systems are extremely different, the knowledge that I gain regarding the DD 8V92 is extremely worthwhile.

We don't discriminate against non-Newell owners in any way.

Your writeup and the comments are great. There certainly is an interesting resemblance between the two. Glad that the comments were so positive. Some sites seem to have members that enjoy bashing anything that is different from their choice. That's a shame!! At least based on that post it looks like a good bunch of folks over there.

My one comment involves the post near the end of the thread about the 48' sagging. To the best of my knowledge, Newell's longest coach was a 47'. There were a few of them made over several years in the early/mid 2000's at specific owner's requests. (Yes, there are places where they are legal.) I have examined one of them and met the owner. I have never heard of an issue with them, or any other Newell, ever exhibited frame 'bouncing'. The frame construction of a Newell was originally patterned after the 1950 FitzJohn bus and allows a tremendous chassis strength while eliminating the need for large front to rear frame rails to extend down into the bay areas. Since Newell custom builds each chassis, the longer the chassis, the longer the wheelbase. Typically a long wheelbase has less porpoising than a shorter wheelbase but I have never experienced nor heard of any discernible frame flex in any Newell regardless of length.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis