Something I read on a different list:

trestaThe "red light law" is widely misunderstood. Basically, green usually
doesn't mean you are free to proceed. It means, generally, that you can
proceed when all other vehicles that have "lawfully" entered the
intersection have cleared. A vehicle "lawfully" enters the intersection
when any part of the vehicle enters the intersection before the light
turns red. That generally means that as long as your bumper crosses the
limit line (denoting the intersection) while the light is yellow, you
have lawfully entered the intersection and you "own" it.

Tom Taylor

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Pretty common among state traffic laws. There has to be something in there that keeps drivers accountable for plowing into other cars (who might be "stuck" in the intersection) just because the driver's light is green.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Correct. There is no absolute Right-Of-Way. When determining liability, one of the things to look at is who had the "Last clear chance (to avoid the ensuing crash)".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_clear_chance

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
On a related note, in Venice Florida at least, if you enter the intersection under green but cannot clear the intersection because of traffic, you WILL get a ticket for blocking the flow of traffic.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
quote:
WILL get a ticket for blocking the flow of traffic.

Click hmm How long does a driver have to clear the intersection in Florida after the light changes?

You're assuming the old farts are AWARE that they're in an intersection. Confused

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
I would think enforcement of any "green light" intersection violations depend wholly on the police jurisdiction you happen to be traveling through, and whether you're unlucky enough to have an officer parked nearby to see the violation. Wink

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
My grandfather's version: The faster you can blast through a red light, the less amount of time you are exposed to a potential collision Roll Eyes

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
To clarify; If you enter the intersection under a green, but the traffic ahead of you is stopped so you can't get all the way through, and the light changes and the traffic from the other way can't go because you are blocking their way, then you are blocking traffic and can get a ticket.
In Venice this often happens due to drawbridges backing up traffic. If you can't make it all the way through the intersection you are not supposed to enter it. Make sense now?
BTW All the old people in Florida live in Sarasota, thier parents live in Venice.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
A state trooper on that other list corrected the deal I copied and posted here in that he said law enforcement no longer uses accident. they use the word crash. Someone doing something stupid like running a read light is not an accident. It is a crash resulting from something intentional.

Tom Taylor

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom taylor:
A state trooper on that other list corrected the deal I copied and posted here in that he said law enforcement no longer uses accident. they use the word crash. Someone doing something stupid like running a read light is not an accident. It is a crash resulting from something intentional.

Tom Taylor

Most "accidents" are actually STUPIDENTS.
also noticed that barriers along the shoulders are being called "Guide Rails" instead of "Guard Rails".

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
]

Most "accidents" are actually STUPIDENTS.
also noticed that barriers along the shoulders are being called "Guide Rails" instead of "Guard Rails".

I was chairman of the safety committee when I worked, and went to some classes and checked out a lot of incidents. I learned in class and in the actual investigation and report-reading that most accidents involve a series of cascading events. Very few have a single cause.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post