Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Coach Batteries
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted
My coach batteries are not for long. 6 volt golf batteries are too high. I would like to use the Interstate brand. Any input on the size would helpful................

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carlflack:
6 volt golf batteries are too high.

How much too high? Trojans are a little shorter than others. There are several types of Trojan posts/terminals available. The right post and the right set up can make a big difference. After some mods, I ended up with my flat, press-in caps being the highest part of the battery.

Can you cut some metal from the lip of the battery compartment opening so they slide in and out?

Got a picture of the compartment?

Have you looked at trolling motor batteries? They are good deep-cycle batteries and are competitively priced. I like Minn-Kota. They are made by Trojan.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Carl, I replaced my Interstate 12V deep-cycle with golf cart batteries. I did have to make a new holddown (the old one was wimpy, but the main mod was easy - some threaded rod stubs and threaded unions to lengthen the holddown rods).

The GC batteries are much more robust than the prior deep-cycle items.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Just did the same thing. Replaced 3 12v deep cycle with 2 6V golf cart batteries.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Anyone who can fit golf cart batts into their battery bay should hunt down MWrench's post on Trojan vs Costco. Costco GC batts are made by Johnson Controls, just like Interstate and a bunch of others.

Disregard this if you don't do much dry camping or run your generator a lot.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
"THE TOY" is in the sick bay till Monday. Rusty, I know my boxes are not as high as yours. I'll do some measuring Monday. What price range can I expect for the 6 volt units ?................Nick I like your new slide bars..................

1992 Barth Breakaway 32'

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Carl, the 6Vs are about $75/ea.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Reading the prior posts of BillH and MWrench the Trojan 6V is the way to go...........Thanxx...

1992 Barth Breakaway 32'

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Carl, if you buy Trojans, be sure to get the ones with regular battery posts. You can cut off the studs and the tops of the posts so they are no higher than the tops of the battery caps. Use a brass battery clamp opened up enough to go all the way down. Grind off any part of the clamp that sticks up. Cut off the part that pinches the cable and attach the cable eye to the pinch bolt. This makes the connection no higher than the top of the old flat 3 in 1 cap.

I think the older flat 3 in 1 press-in cap is lower than the individual ones, so try to find some old ones. Most Trojan distributors will trade you. If your new batteries come with the the flip up caps, and you decide to use them, cut off the hinge part and use them as pull up caps. I exchanged mine for twist lock caps. Height is the same. The flip up design encourages rapid flipping-up that can spatter your eyes and clothes.

Don't Ask.

The "offer I couldn't refuse" caused me to end up with posts not of my choosing, so I had to do more work with a cutting wheel to get the clearance I needed.

Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
I'm having new batteries installed. I mentioned the post about rejuvenating a battery with a household product to the shop owner and he said he never heard of it. I tried to locate the post to no avail. Any one remember where it is located.(sometime in the last several weeks).........

1992 Barth Breakaway 32'

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carlflack:
I'm having new batteries installed. I mentioned the post about rejuvenating a battery with a household product to the shop owner and he said he never heard of it. I tried to locate the post to no avail. Any one remember where it is located.(sometime in the last several weeks).........

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...=888101582#888101582