Forums    General Discussions    Towing your rig..
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Towing your rig..
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Mike your photos arrived.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Kevin, thanks Salute for pointing me in the right direction for the reload of my photos into my coach folder on Bill's PB account page:
lets try this again.. boy PB sure took a while and multiple mailings to upload my pics..
Here's the rodeo.. currently at the mechanics in Everman TX. Before shot at covered storage in Midlothian, TX…

truck one, no wheel lift "Sorry can't do it"

truck two, w/ wheel lift "Sorry can't do it"

truck three..no prob.. Big Bass Towing..yes thats the name. Smiler working with the wrecker company on the truck pic..

the lllooooonnnngggg view

trailer type for future ref..

set up.. raining like heck and about 34 degree's..

winching on board..

almost done (dragging cable was tow out from covered parking..)

closeup front wheels

under front end..had to add board to raise slightly as suspension was hitting trailer when going over trailer wheels raise
front of coach on rear of trailer cinched down

rear of coach on front of trailer cinched down

mount up..

4 hours later on the road..finally..whew..no breaks from the weather..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike, I have a few questions.
  • How did your towing/hauling company deal with the air spring parking brakes?
  • Why was your step out while on the trailer?
  • Did the step get damaged?
  • Was there any charge to you and how much?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Kevin:
Mike, I have a few questions:
  • How did your towing/hauling company deal with the air spring parking brakes?
    They wouldn't move, coach was literally dragged out. The coach would not take air for some reason so brakes couldn't be released that way. Tow driver said he couldn't 'cage' the brakes because the last servicer ( whoever in the past) didn't replace the (insert proper name here) bolts that would have allowed the brakes to release. The tow driver even looked on his own rig to 'borrow' the needed bolts but not right size. Luckily a gravel surface so just a few furrows created. About 30' into the 'drag', the brakes loosened up allowing the coach to roll. Hopefully no damage to P Brakes, will have checked out.
  • Why was your step out while on the trailer?
  • Did the step get damaged?
    the batteries were completely dead. No damage or contact/scrape, while loading/unloading to the step/mechanism. At the mechanics, after a battery charge/replacement, they worked great..
  • Was there any charge to you and how much?
    Coachnet took care of all costs of all responses..Still waiting to hear re: any charges to me for truck 2 'canceled run'/$300.00 ) that the tow company was billing Coachnet for

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
    2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
  •  
    Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Mike, Your replies will prove useful for members that do not have opportunity to use or at least exercise their coaches, then later need to have the vehicle transported. Good luck on the repairs. I think my biggest fear for you is mouse damage. I am curious to see WHY the air system would not take air.
    You show a fine example of postings that will be useful in our archives.

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Tow driver said he couldn't 'cage' the brakes because the last servicer ( whoever in the past) didn't replace the (insert proper name here) bolts that would have allowed the brakes to release.

anyone know what the proper name for those bolts are..? Caging Bolt as below...?

found this statement on a google search:
    "Using a "caging bolt" or other mechanism, a technician can manually compress or "cage" the spring in a spring brake chamber."

sounds like a good spare part to have to cover all brake application points..

M/C-W

Official Barth Junkie
    Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
    Picture of Steve VW
    posted Hide Post
    Wow! Good to see there are some people who know what they are doing. Quite a production.

Thanks for sharing the experience. I spent a night on the side of the road in my Regal waiting for parts but I haven't had to tow yet. Hopefully never.

Your experience tells me I should try airing up my coach to be sure it works, before I need it. There are fittings up front but I have never tried them.

Sounds like Coachnet is working OK also. Thanks.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
    "98" Monarch 37
    Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
    Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Mike/Cindi W
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    by Kevin: How did your towing/hauling company deal with the air spring parking brakes?
    They wouldn't move, coach was literally dragged out. The coach would not take air for some reason so brakes couldn't be released that way. Tow driver said he couldn't 'cage' the brakes because the last servicer ( whoever in the past) didn't replace the (insert proper name here) bolts that would have allowed the brakes to release. The tow driver even looked on his own rig to 'borrow' the needed bolts but not right size. Luckily a gravel surface so just a few furrows created. About 30' into the 'drag', the brakes loosened up allowing the coach to roll. Hopefully no damage to P Brakes, will have checked out.

searched on google for cage brake procedures... ...HERE... You can also go to the 'images' or 'ALL' option (depending on which page appears from the link..) underneath the Google search wording space to see pics.. I'll give GILLIG a call and will advise..

added 5 March 2018
    from the Wanderlodge site ( unknown if describing item on a gill chassis:
    "the cage tool is a 'T' bolt that should be in a "holder' made into the center section of the chamber, it takes a 3/4'' wrench to remove it.
    take it out of the holder,and insert the "T" end into the hole on the back of the chamber,turn it a 1/4 turn,pull on it to make sure its locked into the slot,then tighten the nut down to cage the spring and to release the park brake.

NOTICE:when you cage the spring,the coach will roll,if the coach rolls over you there will be a big sale at your WIFES house!!

NOTE! the way i do this is to chock the wheels,all of them,front and back,front and back of each wheel,front and back wheels.
    then i air the coach up and release the parking brake,then i cage the springs,its easy to do it that way,because the spring is already compressed."

also this diagram.. , again unknown if on a Gillig or not..

M/C-W