Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Don’t buy Rand McNally
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
I attempted to update the maps on my Rand McNally gps yesterday only to find it failed. I contacted them and they said it was past it’s useful life. When I countered with the alleged lifetime guarantee, I was told that they decide what the lifetime is. So not I can’t use it because the maps will be inaccurate. That’s when I told the tech I was buying a Garmin.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Have a Magellan GPS, that is like a 2009 model, paid around $75, the screen is a little small maybe 7X4, but it updates automatically and free, talks to me and has a nice display. A good memory and is fairly easy to find a new location. Makes the one in My Mercedes look sick, actually I take it out of the RV if I need a GPS in a car. Best Deal on a piece of electronics ever!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
welcome to the world we live in . i have spent 3 month with waste management trying to get a commercial buildings trash collection contract renewed to my liking . today i was told by the rep that the certified letter i sent him that was delivered 10 days ago had not reached his
desk .. the department receiving mail had not delivered it . the office , a branch office , t is 80 feet by 80 feet . welcome to the new world .

Posts: 65 | Location: Royal Oak, Michigan | Member Since: 06-14-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rand McNally gps

I was looking for a website where I would think that some college software student would have hacked the unit and gotten it to load maps.

There are two issues though, and the first is that Rand McNally was a 2020 bankruptcy. Probably the original owner group charged more for "lifetime service" and figured out how to divert the extra funds elsewhere. And the crashed the company. The new owner doesn't want the obligations of the prior entity.

If you could find a way of loading the newer maps, it is probably something simple like an ID that has to be set with some common map format data. But the part that is rough, is that the older GPS is going to be limited in memory space, and newer map files are going to be larger due to more detail. The tough thing for a GPS company to figure out, is "what data do we leave out". If you could find a way of filtering the data, like "east of the Mississippi", or Northeast US, you could probably fit the data in.

We at Barthmobile have taken on "projects" before. Hopefully there is a trucker with a kid in a college software course who can take this on.

Happy motoring,
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Richard,
What is the model of your GPS? We have the Overdrive 7 RV, it updates by a menu driven update via WiFi.
Billy

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.