Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Thinking of selling my barth
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
I am beginning to explore the idea of selling my Barth, one of the only two aristocrat models built in 1994. Anyone have an idea of how much I should ask? Thanks, Richard

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
10K would sell it quick.
20K and it will be for sale for a while.
Somewhere in the middle?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
stuallen had a similar 33'. ~50K mi., asked $19K. Just sold last month.

Anyway, yours is one I'd seriously consider, having really liked the one Lou bought, and knowing it's been kept up. The only thing I don't like about Breakaways is the propane generator...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Mine also has a screen porch and comes with tools, two new LED TV's, a three year old Breakbuddy and some spare parts. Also, had the generator rebuilt several years ago.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Hi Richard,

It's been awhile!

Sorry to see you might be selling your Barth, for our (few) get togethers were memorable occasions.

Pricing is truly a study in economics and human relations. Here on the Barth site we see many a Barth pass by, and, after awhile, take them for granted. Yet, if you reflect on the fact that there are few motorhomes in general out there that come anywhere near the quality of a Barth, you start to realize that a Barth in well-kept condition will have a higher value than most units of equal vintage because of its original higher quality construction and subsequent good maintenance.

It then boils down to the care and maintenance your Barth had while you owned it. I, for one, feel it is imperative that all necessary maintenance be done as either the books or experience dictate. That way you can sell the coach knowing you did everything you could to maintain its integrity, and you shouldn't have to drastically capitulate on the price. When you consider that one can get into a well-maintained Barth for a mere fraction of its original selling price, and that the price, when compared to lesser units newly manufactured has no match, there is no better bargain to be had.

If, on the other hand, maintenance is allowed to slide, you are vulnerable to offers that are based on the fact that the maintenance, which is always cumulative in its needs, will have to be aggressively done by the new owner in order to catch up in having a well-maintained unit once again. Add to all of this the fact that ongoing maintenance, expensive as it can sometimes be, rarely adds significantly to the price to be had. It's necessary to keep the same status in the unit and does not represent bells & whistles to crow about. Take the new TV units you've installed. What's the option, old units that need converters to get the HD offerings out there now? If your coach has two TVs, so be it. But so does just about every other RV out there. Only the ones who don't have the newer TVs will affect the price of the entire unit. And the price will be less; not more. Same with tires: good if they are brand new, and that could sway a prospective buyer, but to add the value of the tires to the asking price simply won't work. It's supposed to have good tires.

How you price your unit is going to have to take all this into consideration, a complicated determination for any seller. In the end, the coach is worth what the next owner will pay for it compared to what the seller will accept. Nothing more; nothing less.

Once you've decided on a price you believe represents your coach, stand your ground. But that means you have to be prepared to walk away from lesser offers. Do that enough times and it might be just what you need to adjust your price, a process that will surely follow if you go through the gyrations first.

Best regards,

Lou

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing I don't like about Breakaways is the propane generator...

I agree Rusty, although propane generators are usually quieter than diesels they will burn up a lot of expensive fuel. I always have to plan well in advance to locate fuel, not easy. I have over 4000 hours on my set now.

Was going to convert mine to gasoline, easy conversion but I can not locate parts for this gen set any longer. the source Schwalm in So CA threw away most of the remaining parts. Engine parts are still available but hard to locate.

Richard good luck with selling, we will talk soon.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Ed: If a person has a gas coach they can get the number off the carb on the generator and get a rebuild kit that will convert it back to gas.
Failing that PPL and many others have new carbs of the gas variety that will fit Onan, B&S and others. Just need an electric lift pump from the fuel tank ($50), some new lines and the change will be done. For your coach you might consider Colaw's or a marine junk yard for a diesel engine. As long as it will run at 1800 rpm the generator doesn't care what is spinning it. Could be a fun weekend project.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
See here On eBay 172029626094. Just put in the number in the search field.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
For your coach you might consider Colaw's or a marine junk yard for a diesel engine. As long as it will run at 1800 rpm the generator doesn't care what is spinning it. Could be a fun weekend project.

Tom,
Maybe outside my threshold at the moment. But wow I love when others see outside the box. A possible for down the road.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
As has been said many times--- for Barth there was no "standard"--- so in holding true to that principle, our Breakaway has a diesel generator. Not quiet but so far very reliable (starts whenever it is summoned).

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hi Bud. So true, it does seem however that most shorter Breakaways, 32' or less had propane generaters. Not much space for a generator or noise reduction techniques in the shorter units. Propane/gasoline units are generally smaller for the same KW output as diesels units. Gas units would require a third tank for fuel.

I have been trying to source a small diesel unit that would fit where the Kwyatt 7.0 unit is but I will have to raise the floor as most diesel units are too tall but only by a couple of inches.

Power Source sell one but it is a constant speed unit and I would prefer an inverter variable speed type. I will keep looking!

Sorry for keeping the thread drift going!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bud@YXY:
As has been said many times--- for Barth there was no "standard"--- so in holding true to that principle, our Breakaway has a diesel generator. Not quiet but so far very reliable (starts whenever it is summoned).

Bud

Barth made a few "Breakaway XLs"; kind of a Monarch-Regency hybrid. Many Monarchs had propane gensets, some had diesels. More confirmation that Barth was flexible both in equipment and naming conventions.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Power Tech Makes a 3000kw designed for a Sprinter vab

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post