Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hawkins Motor Coach
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I hope you will forgive me for inquiring about something besides a Barth. I ask here because I value the opinion of our group. Seems to be a very knowledgeable group, especially when dealing with 15 year old orphans. I have been a member here for 3 years and although I like Barths, I have seen a few, I am unable to find one that suits me in my budget range. While searching I have come across a Hawkins in my backyard. It is a 94 Hawk, 230 Cummins, 6 sp Allison which should be on an Oshkosh chassis. 34 ft. model with new tires and batteries. I haven't seen it yet, hope to this weekend but I was wondering if anybody could enlighten me. I know they were very high end coachs, all fiberglass, but outside of that I don't know too much. In fact, I have only heard of them, never seen one. Any info would be appreciated. Almost forgot to add, about 127K on the odo but here is the kicker, only asking $19K.

Posts: 6 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Member Since: 11-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redsb3:
Almost forgot to add, about 127K on the odo but here is the kicker, only asking $19K.

You say that as if that amount it low...

Current NADA value on that coach is $13,987 Low Retail and $16,852 Average Retail. In this current RV market ("depressed" is a good description) you should not be paying any more than Low Retail in most cases. Not everyone here abides by NADA values and many are willing to pay more, but I would still be very cautious about overpaying unless you plan to keep the rig forever and don't mind taking a 25% loss as soon as you drive away.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I NADA'd it yesterday, it was 15 low and 18 high. If you're searching like I am, it is refreshing to find an owner willing to sell his coach at its current worth. Many I have checked and looked at are way too high. I am finding coaches for sale in the 95-96 era and people are asking $40-$45K for them. I know there is an attachment to something you own, but you have to be realistic. I have come across quite a few nice coaches but many times the people are upside down on the loan and still want the payoff price which is way more than the coach is currently worth, and that is if you can get financing. The gentlemen uses the coach, its not sitting around but it has been for sale for 2 years. So I do plan on offering less if I like what I see.

Posts: 6 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Member Since: 11-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redsb3:
The gentlemen uses the coach, its not sitting around but it has been for sale for 2 years.

He's still been using it that 2 years, or sitting for sale 2 years? That's long enough to possibly contribute to some "lack of use" problems once you start using it again, but if he's kept it maintained during that time period you could be fine.

Also, do not add in various options from the checkboxes on NADA when figuring the price. Options do not realistically add any value to used vehicles. I'm guessing that's why your value showed higher than the range I posted.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Considering the asking prices on Barths, however unrealistic, I would look very hard at that Hawkins.

Scott is right on the "extras" not adding any value.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Price is a judgement call. There is also the fact of supply and demand. Small diesel pushers have a small supply and fairly high demand. In fact there recent spike in the price of fuel has driven the price up for MHs that can deliver over 10mpg all the time.

There is no way I would consider selling our Breakaway at even the high book price. After 7-10 years the book NADA prices are simply speculation.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post