Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
http://www.rvtraderonline.com/dealeraddphotos.html?56442164

Didn't know Barth made anything like this. ??

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Does it look kind of FMC'ish to you?....That's 'cause it was.....Dave and others can give you details, but I seem to remember that this unit brought with it its own set of problems from both an engineering and marketing standpoint......

Lee

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Barth bought the FMC line in the early '80's after FMC went out of business. They bought the company primarily to get the MCC chassis line. They manufactured the first coach in 1982 and kept the FMC style. The price? from $145K to 185K in 1982. I have a 1982 article from Motorhome Magazine telling you all about it. Let me know and I will email it to you.

The FMC style was only kept for one year 1982. They changed from the FMC Dodge 440 engine to the Detroit Diesel. In 1983 they changed to the modern Barth looks which continued until 1985 at which time the MCC chassis was scraped for the Gillig/CAT combo.

1982 Regency ad from Motorhome Magazine

1983 Regency ad from Motorhome Magazine, you can see the new design

------------------
"Work hard and save, so that someday you can support those who didn't"

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited November 17, 2003).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
How soon we forget. This unit was discussed in a series of posts on 9/29. I have gone to look at it. It is pristine, and indeed a beauty, more like a collector's item than something to use.

The original 6.5 GM diesel has been replaced by a 3208 Cat, ostensibly 6000 miles ago, though one never knows the age and condition of the engine used for the replacement. One also wonders why there's only 30k miles in a rig that's 21 years old.

Like Jaguar automobiles, and their FMC ancestors, these fiberglas MCC Barths are in the category of "interesting mechanical devices."

I would have loved to have it 20 years ago when I was still capable of heavy lifting, and crawling into small spaces to reach inaccessible components. Today, I'd have to pay to have it serviced.

At that, I was tempted, but the dealer has a higher estimation of its value than I do.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops, didn't recall your previous discussion OldeWan, until you mentioned it, now I remember. The ad for a fiberglass Barth was what caught my eye.

Naw, Dave, don't need additional info, I was just pokin' around the internet when I came across this ad.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
This Motorhome Mag article is kind of funny. In it the writer asks, "What could they ever put in a motorhome to make it worth $185,000.00?" They also comment on the choise of decor. They say something like, "Barth says that they offer 5 difference choices for interior decorating and it appears like they used all 5 on this coach." I think they were commenting on the woven wood shades like I have in my coach.

------------------
"Work hard and save, so that someday you can support those who didn't"

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post