Tools
Reply To This Topic

Mid Size SUV
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
I love my '02 Yukon! It's 6-way power seat is the only thing I've found that permits me to ride long distances without back problems. But @ 15mpg, I'll soon be in debtors prison. I want to buy a mid-size suv that gets 20city/25highway and has a 6-way power seat that is dependable, good reliablility, not prone to multiple shop visits. I'm in the $12000/$14000 range. I've driven Chevy Equinox, Honda Pilot, Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, Buick Rendezvous, Kias, etc. Can't find a 6-way in any of them. Toyota Higlander is nice but can't find a 6-way in them either. Any ideas?
Humbo

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Keep the Yukon!

Seriously.

Let's say you do 15K a year. The Pilot is rated for an average of, best case, 19MPG as an example. You get 15MPG now. Difference is 4MPG over 15,000 miles = 210 gallons of gas saved X $3/gal = $630/ year saved. Not enough to justify the safety, comfort, insurance savings, reg savings, taxes, and, of course, initial cost.

I grew up in a car dealership. I know how to make it look like a great idea to trade, but fuel savings isn't unless you're thinking of a civic or insight!

Of course, if you do many more miles a year, or need to get something newer for other reasons, go for it!

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Do you tow it?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
"Do you tow it?"
I feel fortunate if the 85 Regal gets itself to its' destination. Sorry, didn't mean to be a smart a**. No, we don't tow anything. For some reason, the older I get the more I act like a fuddy-duddy. Tere would probably tow a tank and not think about it, whereas I would be worried about a bicycle on the hitch.
Humbo

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
"Do you tow it?"
I feel fortunate if the 85 Regal gets itself to its' destination. Sorry, didn't mean to be a smart a**. No, we don't tow anything. For some reason, the older I get the more I act like a fuddy-duddy. Tere would probably tow a tank and not think about it, whereas I would be worried about a bicycle on the hitch.
Humbo

I asked because the weight of the Tahoe could be an issue if you did a lot of mountain towing. Everyone I know who has gone to a lighter toad has been happy with the mileage and performance improvements, and that could be a factor if you towed it.

I suffer greatly with my 5000 lb toad. Our Barth feels like a hot rod without it.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
With our recent addition of child #3, we needed a bigger vehicle... I didn't want a minivan or monster SUV but needed the 3rd-row seat, so I've been down the road of shopping midsize/crossover SUV's in recent months.

We ended up with a Chrysler Pacifica which I love thus far. You probably don't need the 3rd row of seats which will open up your possible choices. The only midsizes we found with that option were the Pacifica, Ford Freestyle (rebadged Taurus X), Honda Pilot, and Chevy Trailblazer XL (the extra long version) for the few years it was offered.

The Pacifica was the "comfort and luxury" winner hands down. Our 2007 has cloth interior but is very well equipped otherwise, including a 6-way power driver's seat. Very smooth to drive and ride, and the 07-08 models offered a 4.0L V6 which is VERY spirited but still gave me 25.6 mpg on our 150 mile drive home after buying. I average between 20.3-20.4 mpg in 50/50 daily driving. I'm very happy with that, for a vehicle that weighs 5000 pounds.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post