Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Jacking up my 89 Barth regal for brake work
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We're proud owners of a neglected 1989 28 foot regal.
It needs brake work and a tune up to start with.
We can't afford the $3000 estimate for brakes and tune up so myself and a friend will attempt the job.
Getting under a behemoth like a Barth is a scary proposition.
We purchased a 20 ton bottle Jack..
2,6 ton Jack stands.
We will attack the brake master cylinder first.
Also we will do the spark plugs and new wires with the front wheels off..
Wish me luck. 10 leg wheels?! Ikes.
Bought a w1 gallon compressor just for this big girl.
Might need an impact gun to loosen those crusty leg nuts.
Hopefully pictures included. I hopefully put the pictures on photo bucket.
Thanks for the advice from many members.
Barronjr

Posts: 13 | Location: san diego Ca. USA | Member Since: 10-07-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
21 gallon compressor.

Posts: 13 | Location: san diego Ca. USA | Member Since: 10-07-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barronjr:
Hopefully pictures included. I hopefully put the pictures on photo bucket.Thanks for the advice from many members.
Barronjr

There only two pictures in your folder 3549, and I sent them. As of this morning 10/10/18, I have been only able to send ONE picture attachment per email. If you need some more help other than the help posted when you follow the links from the Community Announcements, Private Message me your phone number. I have highlighted the email address in green in the post for an easy copy and past to your mail server. Be sure to put 3549 in the subject, and nothing else in the subject. No information goes in the mail body either. Only the photos as attachments. Good Luck.
Photobucket also saves Barthmobile.com members lots of MONEY. We are member supported with no advertisements, no banners, no bull.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I did Regal brakes a while back. See here:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...413963477#5413963477

There is a part 2 for rear discs also. good luck

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Good luck loosing those lugs, I put a 4 foot extension on my breaker bar and still had a tough time loosing them. My impact wrench just looked at me stupidly ..lol

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Take it to a tire shop to get the lugnuts loose and then tighten them up rite. Or you can drive over to Yuma and I will loosen them with my 1" torque wrench.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your so right about the lug nuts..my new airgun and compressor we're no match for the front wheel lugs..
We changed the master cylinder yesterday and did the front brakes.i was wiped out after that.
We also did the ugs and wires while the front wheel was off (1 wheel at a time).I did the passenger side and my more skilled buddy did the drivers side.ds was tricky.
Master cylinder was difficult but doable.
We put the RV back down to tackle the master because there bolts going straight up and it's up there.
I'm so stoked to be a proud owner of a Barth.
Has a face only a mother could love.
My air bags looked ok untill we put her up in the air.
Then it was obvious there were completely trashed...
Lots of projects to do on this neglected plus gal.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in .
Really appreciate it.
Cheers and best regards to all of you.
God bless America and ease go vote early.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
You are moving along at a good pace, enjoy the trip!

Soon you will be enjoying the fruits of your labor. Good luck!??

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
A while back we had a discussion about access panels for the master cylinder. Many Chevy chassis have one on the floor just aft of the gas pedal. Wondering about yours.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for chimming in friend.
I'm going to look for it tomorrow.
I have the Barth back up on jack stands again.
Since I noticed the front airbags were trash when we did front brakes and master.
It's really a bear to prep the bags for install.
Heat gun..... Hot water.. Zip strips.. Soapy water.
Those bags r heavy duty. Having trouble getting the top piece centered on the top of the bag.
I know it's not perfectly centered.
So I left it up to try to pry the bag down somehow. I wish I could take the 4 lbs of air out of the bags for more room.
Have ordered and I'm slowly replacing the broken basement locks.
Thanks to the forum.
Also have ordered cabinet hinges for my 89 Barth regal.
Thanks to all.. I'm a very slow low skilled mechanic.