Forums    General Discussions    Gillig Frame tag..
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gillig Frame tag..
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted
Any of you Gillig chassis folks have a picture of what the frame tag actually looks like? aaannnddd, did the frame tag VIN match the one on your interior data tag..?

Bill advised the following:

quote:
"...I researched the Gillig chassis and they have a metal stamp tag attached to the frame on the drivers side just behind the front wheel..."

tnx in advance..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Mike, The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicle gentleman came to my Barth to verify my title and serial numbers. The OBMV person gave up on the frame number. He said he was not looking any longer, and signed Thumbs Up the verification papers according to the inside data tag.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Mike, The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicle gentleman came to my Barth to verify my title and serial numbers. The OBMV person gave up on the frame number. He said he was not looking any longer, and signed Thumbs Up the verification papers according to the inside data tag.
Laziness isn't an excuse to not delve deeper. The adage of, "Good Enough For Government Work." comes to mind.

That vin number crosses over to a coach with... wait for it... hydraulic brakes. He says the coach is airbrake equipped so. hmm

Unless Gillig really screwed up the vin stamping on his frame (which is a slim possibility) the inside tag number isn't correct.

I've got several theories but no hard proof unless he can find the frame number. He's trying to find the correct information and if anyone that has a Gillig Chassis can help please do so.

Check digit is off and now we've got hydraulic brakes on an air brake coach.

He really does need to find that frame vin#.

His vin# is 46GED0427L2051317 2= Hydraulic Brakes & Bad Check Digit

My best guess is now 46GED0417L2051317 1= Air Brakes & Good Check Digit

With that guess the check digit lines up. There are other issues, as explained in earlier posts, regarding this vin#.

Here's a PDF from Gillig explaining what each digit of their VIN# means. Gillig Vin# Decoded

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
finally got a sample pic of a Gillig Frame VIN Tag ( thanks to Jerry Jelsing's willingness to crawl under his coach..) cheers

His frame VIN agrees with his interior Barth data tag VIN..
it also includes his CAT 3208 serial #..
hopefully mine will (agree with interior Barth data tag re: VIN) also..whenEVER I can get my TX mechanic to get it..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
My Gillig Frame VIN tag mystery has been solved.. Finally got the mechanic's in Texas to take a pic of the VIN frame tag AND actually send it to me..

Barth screwed up and put the wrong VIN number on the interior wall mounted data tag..or they just took Gillig's word for it upon transfer of the chassis to the Hillsboro TX Barth facility....

even Gillig's own data base was incorrect..

now it seems that Texas DMV was just taking a position that '...the squeaky wheel gets the oil...' and even though they told us that they made an error...they just took our word.. the original title had the correct VIN..Now, since the title was "...corrected...", I have to go back ( or at least the bank has to go back ) and have them re-issue the original title. D'oh

quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
My best guess is now 46GED0417L2051317 1= Air Brakes & Good Check Digit

RIGHTY-O Bill.. Thumbs Up

any other Gillig Chassis folks had this happen..?...or have you ever verified that the 'right hand (Barth) didn't know what the left hand (Gillig) was doing... hmm and compared the 2 VIN numbers at the 2 different points to see if they actually agree? or am I the 'odd ball' coach , once again.. ? Roll Eyes

What a dog and pony show.. Shields Up

M/C-W

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I think I'd have Gillig reissue you a corrected IVD tag with a proper weight tire chassis rating. It's commonly known as an Incomplete Vehicle Document tag.

The IVD has been a federal requirement since the 70s and the requirements of what needs to be on them changes every few years.

Less likely, but I'd check to see if Gillig might have screwed up the overall weight ratings too.

Place that tag somewhere in your coach close to your data tag.

Chances are good that an agency (fed/state) will have to reissue you an actual vin plate too.

VIN ERRORS.pub - NHTSA

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill, a little more explanation is needed.. (**another question at the bottom)

if this is just a typo on Gillig's paperwork side (granted one that had ramifications farther down the line... or did it?), then why is a new IVD needed? Other than this current paperwork hassle, barth wasn't really affected..unless, they took some of Gillig's supplied chassis spec's and applied a Breakaway designation/options/etc rather than a regency designation..I don't know..just 'musing..

The one on the actual frame plate is the one that was on the original title and the one that comes back to an actual vehicle (417) vs the one that was on the Barth tag (427) that comes back..No such vehicle in records..

I have to go back to TX DMV and have their re-issued title ( from correct 417 to incorrect 427) re-issued once again..because, in the beginning, I didn't get the physical frame tag confirmation BEFORE I told TxDMV it was incorrect (IMO, only going by only the Barth data tag)....My screw-up..

I would, however, like to know more about the Gillig chassis, what model was it and the weight ratings for it when constructed.. I'll get with Gillig and also ask that question..

java anyone have a model/part # on their Gillig chassis or in a their chassis manual, by chance.. like Phaeton bus model 8Z337 or whatever..my coach is 34' w/ a 3208T Cat motor, allison MT643..

** Bill, you mentioned somewhere (can't locate message/thread) that, something to the effect that, this/any VIN screwup and related chassis ratings, '..may help to explain early Breakaway/XL history...' When you have time could you go into that a little more.. Hope you have another life besides responding to the many questions we all have..VERY MUCH APPRECIATED BY ALL.. cheers

M/C-W

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Just get whatever corrected documents you can retrieve from Gillig at their expense or your modest contribution. It seems that if Gillig screwed up on their end they might be willing to straighten it out now for you with a simple IVD tag. See if you can't get them to check what else might go in your favor... like a possible heavier GVW rating for your coach.

That IVD would, I suspect, make it easier to sell your coach in the future.

In regards to the XL model I'd only be guessing. Your body style is clearly a Breakaway with that roof radius but is more akin with a Regency storage but a slightly lighter GVWR.

I'm just glad it's being sorted out properly. I'm not a "Good Enough" for government type of mentality mindset.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis