Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Questions
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of L78steve
posted
So, been looking for a nice coach for awhile and stumbled across The Barth.
Looked at Airstream and Bluebird. Bluebirds seem a bit high on the prices compared to book values even with high miles and that's a problem with insurance.
I like the quality of the Bluebird over the Airstream and the Barth is up to the level of the BB.
My questions, are parts available such as windshields and other non generic Barth pieces?
And from the late 80's to the end of the run are they all steel or steel and aluminum?

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...061/m/9743997667/p/2

Above link has pictures of Barth construction. For the years you've specified, they are all constructed in similar fashion. Parts are generally readily available, and this site provides great suggestions if trouble arises. I am very impressed with my ,92 Breakaway

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Windshields are available (except for early years); I've had both of mine replaced at different times.

Other replacement parts are readily available.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
What about the ribbed aluminum body side panels.

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Going to look at the 28 Regal in the for sale section tomorrow.
Where can I find a spec. sheet on this coach?
Tank capacity's,Weight etc.
Thanks, Steve.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You won't find a spec sheet; no 2 Barths are alike.

Regals are generally on the GM P3x chassis, with a 454 coupled to a TH400 transmission. Beyond that, there are many variations, including what things were updated or upgraded.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Are folks generally happy with this platform the 28 Regal with the 454/TH400 ?

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I believe the 28 was the most common size in the gas coaches.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Steve VW
Did you convert to TBI on your rig?
The unit I'm looking at tomorrow is a 89 so was hoping for TBI but the chassis is a 87 so most likely Rochchester 4V.

Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
The 28 Regal in Pensacola was a no go.
Still looking.
How do the Cat 3208 300HP Diesels do and hold up?
I know they are good in marine applications.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I owned a 93 Regency with the CAT 3208 AATAC 300HP. We used the coach for 7 years and never had any major problems with the engine. A couple of minor problems like a leaking oil line and replacing the engine shutdown module. Less than $200 in 7 years and about 50K miles.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I converted to TBI. I am very happy with the change. Search for "Affordable Fuel Injection" thread.

After about 90 or 91 GM used TBI on the the P chassis.

Cat motors have done well for Barth owners. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
With the Barth models, Do they start with entry level Breakaway then up to Regal,Regency,Monarch consecutively?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L78steve:
With the Barth models, Do they start with entry level Breakaway then up to Regal,Regency,Monarch consecutively?

Will try to give info on Barth Motor Coaches models.

1969-80 Class A and Class C. no model designation.

1980's - 82/83 Euro's-Fiberglass front end. Gas puller

early 80's 35' MCC Fiberglass bodies, Regency Products Industries {RPI}chassis. full independent suspension, 8.2 Detroit Diesel pusher.

84-87 Regency- Aluminum bodied RPI Chassis. Most 35'. larger top roof radius.

88-mid 90's Regency-Large roof radius body on Gillig chassis. Diesel pusher.

84-98 Regal-Gas puller most on GM p-30 chassis. A few with Tag Axels, latter years some John Deer/Freight Liner (Ford} Chassis with 18,000 GVW. Rectangular Headlamps.

84/5 Royal's Large radius roof body on gas puller tag axel chassis.

86-90'S Regal SE-Could be tag axel, or diesel pusher.

Early 90's Breakaway- Rear Diesel pusher, most 5.9 Cummins. some 6.5 GM. turbo. Spartan chassis
Regal based body. many with front entry.
Breakaway XL on Gillig Chassis

Mid 90's on.
Sovereign and Monarchs and Regis. Along with 80's Fiat diesel powerd Iveco

This should give you some understanding of Barth Models. You will find variation of these. There are no two Barth's built the same. "BARTH CUSTOM COACHES"

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Great info. Thank you for taking the time to post.