Forums    General Discussions    My Barth is a total loss!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

My Barth is a total loss!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
I have no doubt about that, Rusty. But, repairing a borderline total loss often results in misery for the vehicle owner and the insurer. In the process, I have seen shops get partway through a major repair job and then a re-evaluation converts the job to a total loss.
The owners of repaired borderline total loss are often unhappy with the results, after protracted, extensive repairs are 'completed', various flaws, noises, leaks, vibrations, etc haunt the owner, the shop and the adjuster. Hence, as may be the case with John's Barth, the carrier averts that possibility by paying a generous total loss. In my most recent total loss experience, as an insured rather than adjuster, I was paid more than I had paid for the auto.

I agree absolutely, but in this case the chassis and superstructure appear to be intact, and only the engine is damaged. The sad thing here is that the coach will now have a salvage title if restored to service.

It appears the insuror did pay a reasonable settlement, but I'm still at a loss to understand totalling a $40K coach with <$15K of very well-defined and predictable damage.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Papasergia
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it could be repaired for 15k but likely only if the labor was free. A new long block 3208 is 12k, add removal from the coach teardown and installation of all the bits and pieces Dyno testing prior to installation then finally installation and the quote from Cat was 29k. Yes it could be done on the cheep but this motor was impeccable, low milage with perfect service records. I insisted that if it were repaired it must be new everything and they agreed. Unfortunately (or fortunately) depending on your point of view, it was close enough to the 80% rule that they offered full replacement value. (actually it was their decision, I didnt have a choice)
PS. NADA value was $17,600 I insisted on an independent apprasal and this site was used as reference for comparative values.

Posts: 18 | Location: Bakersfield | Member Since: 03-11-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The quote from Cat was WAY out of line; short block reman 3208/250HP would be about $8.5K, labor $6-7K, at an authorized Cat dealer.

At least you got a fair financial settlement.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to thank everyone for the helpful and often spirted debate on this subject.
Your advice absolutly helped me get a fair settlement.
I sure hope the coach finds a good home- I can try to find out where/when the auction will be if anyone is interested.

Posts: 18 | Location: Bakersfield | Member Since: 03-11-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out for you! Thumbs Up

I'll speculate that coach will eventually be owned by someone associated with the the insuror or adjustor or appraiser. Too many numbers don't add up to an arm's-length evolution. Fortunately, you were not treated unfairly.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Ya think? Mad

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

I'll speculate that coach will eventually be owned by someone associated with the the insuror or adjustor or appraiser. Too many numbers don't add up to an arm's-length evolution.

+1

Doesn't pass the smell test.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Papasergia:
Long story short the company that was loading it onto the lowboy unknowingly smashed the oil pan before deciding to drive it 30 miles to another location to load.

Lots of fleet or industrial engines have low oil pressure shut-offs or alarms.

Kinda makes me want to rig one up on my Barth.

I almost lost an engine when my young son was driving our ski boat. The lifter clatter got my attention before any damage was done. A remote oil filter line had failed. I had previously installed an idiot light, but in Summer AZ bright sunshine, it was not easy to notice. I put in a LARGE flashing idiot light after that.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Glad it worked out for you! Thumbs Up

I'll speculate that coach will eventually be owned by someone associated with the the insuror or adjustor or appraiser. Too many numbers don't add up to an arm's-length evolution. Fortunately, you were not treated unfairly.

GETTING a piece of salvage is not worth the risk of LOSING one's job and future in the industry entirely.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Right. But some folks do it anyway...distant family member, friend, etc.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
Re. smell test- I could post a picture of the check but you'll just have to trust me.
As far as it going to someone involved in the transaction, well I hope so, I've even encouraged all involved to please find a home for it but honestly my gut tells me that no one involved cares one iotta where this thing goes. The appraiser never physically looked at the coach, I just walked him through the options over the phone and the adjuster confirmed it was accurate. The adjuster was really just concerned with doing a good job and moving on to his next case. FYI the payout came from my insurance and they will seek reimbursement from the responsible party which is a billion dollar transport company with which my company does several million dollars per year in buisness. Nobody involved gave me any indication that they had any interest in anything except putting this fiasco behind them and making sure that I was satisfied.
So once again- I believe this coach will sell at auction for next to nothing, I hope someone here will take advantage of this oportunity.

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
OK, it now makes more sense: You insuror paid,and will subrogate against the trucker's insurance. That explains the cooperation and the willingness to research the value.

The trucker's insuror can contest the bill yours sends, but the gross negligence involved and the apparent failure of the trucker's insuror to step up weakens its case. In any event, your insuror is on the hook for any collection less than what they paid you.

It's great that the claim was snarl-free and the amount acceptable.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/...13490062&RowNumber=0

This is the link to the on line Auction its up to $2500.00 sale goes off tomorrow.