Gear Vendors on fuel economy/mileage

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9331087061/m/8063929397

03-01-2020, 02:51 PM
Doug Smiley
Gear Vendors on fuel economy/mileage
https://www.gearvendors.com/mh4speed.html

https://www.gearvendors.com/mh3speed.html

Quote: With today’s fuel prices you are also concerned with fuel mileage, it is likely part of the reason you are looking at Gear Vendors. If mileage is the only reason then fully understand the following. The most cost effective way to improve mileage on a Class A motor home is to slow down to 55mph. This is because the aerodynamics (the frontal area regardless of shape) has a horsepower requirement to drag it through the air. The common motorhome doubles its wind load every 15mph. This means nearly twice as much horsepower is required to maintain 70mph as opposed to 55. This also means that the faster you go the stouter (higher numerical) gearing you need – morewww. rpm.

A small percentage of you who have a good grasp of the aerodynamics and vehicle mechanical will unplug our lockout and pick the correct moments to save a little fuel. Gear Vendors recommends our product only if you want it for the performance – lockout in place. If the only reason you want our product for is mileage – slow down 10mph instead.

Note: Most Cass A’s and Cass C’s longer than 30ft have a drivelineparking brake. To confirm, look at the rear of your transmission and you should see drum for the brake shoes (this steel or cast iron drum will be about 12 inch in diameter on GM and Ford products and about 8 inches on the Chrysler/Dodge). If your vehicles does not have the transmission mounted park brake then your product part numbers, description and prices will be listed in the Trucks/Towing section.

www.westernpowertrain.com 0

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

03-02-2020, 10:16 AM
Jim and Tere
I had a Gear Vendor on my 85 Regal with a TH 400 coupled to a 454. My fuel economy may have improved marginally but that's not the reason that I spent $3000. I wanted a happy engine at 60 mph and my rpm's dropped to about 2300 with the Gear Vendor. In addition, you can chose one of six gears for hill climbing so you can stay in a good torque range. I applaud GV for their comments on fuel economy. Drive slower, enjoy the ride.

Hum (aka Jim)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny
03-08-2020, 12:45 AM
lockjaw-express
I had one in my 1990 Monaco Executive, and burned up 4 of them under warranty...the reverse cone clutch was the problem. Never had a problem in forward gears ever, however, you do need to be careful on reverse going up any grades.

Detroit Diesel Allison burned out the reverse in their shop testing their Allison Transmission on the Chassis dyno.

They do stand up for their warranties!

I would buy one, but only on a motorhome that was less than 30ft.

my 2 cents. Mark
03-08-2020, 10:04 AM
Jim and Tere
quote:
you do need to be careful on reverse going up any grades.

Yeah for those backup cameras ROTFLMAO

Hum (aka Jim)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny