Forums    General Discussions    I'm sick!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

I'm sick!
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Bill NY. Where did you get the chalk board. That seems like a perfect solution because of the ease of cleaning.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I wanted to put the sticky floor vinyl tile in & many tell me it is going to work well. Even the carpet people who say they had it installed in their campers before they sold it said it looked great. But how does it hold up a year from now, 5 yrs. Well that is all well & good except when I call the manufacturer Armstrong, Konecto etc. they tell me they will not guarantee the install in a camper because of the extreme hot/cold conditions. Their glues won't hold up. Ours is under roof but the temps are still extreme.

I put Armstrong's best grade of stick down tile in a fiver. Scrubbed the old linoleum with MEK or lacquer thinner and steel wool to assure good adhesion. Waited a couple of weeks to let solvents evaporate. Knocked myself out to cut every edge and corner absolutely perfect. It was a beautiful job.

It didn't last. The tile never came up, but it MOVED around. Gaps formed, and I swear they were different from weekend to weekend. This was on the Colorado River, where temps go from below 20 to over 120. The trailer was not an oven, though, as both vents had a beehive ventilator, and there was a big tree that shaded it during most of the day.

I spoke about it to the Armstrong people and they said I should have done a better job of cleaning the floor first. Yeah, right. Then he said the extreme temps were the reason. I asked them why they sold the product in areas known to have extreme temps, and he had no answer.

This was in the early nineties, so it is possible adhesives have gotten better.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougZ:
Bill NY. Where did you get the chalk board. That seems like a perfect solution because of the ease of cleaning.
I got the dry eraser board from Lowes. But, this stuff should be better for the bathroom walls.

Stabilit .090 In. FRP Wall Panel 4 Ft. x 8 Ft. - White - MFG Part # : MFTF12IXA480009600

I used this on my passengers side entrance door. It can handle moisture without a problem.

You'll find it in the regular paneling area. In all of the stores I've been in, it's always laying on the lowest shelf in the middle.

According to the website, these walls are done in this stuff.

Ooops I sure hope that this stuff isn't what you started the thread on. It worked very well for me.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The public field where my GA astronomy village lot is used that for the public bathrooms - it's held up perfectly for 5 years.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sure hope that this stuff isn't what you started the thread on. It worked very well for me.

That is similiar to what I used but the stuff I got was .045" and much more flexible. I think I'm going to take that thin vinyl and put it on top of my work benches. I'll go and get the thickest, firmest that Lowes or HD has. I will only buy one sheet and try it before I do the whole bathroom. That's what I get for being a CASOB and not getting the best the first time. wack

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If I were putting a hard panel on a wall in an RV, I would leave room for a little expansion at the corners. The aluminum corner angle sold for that purpose would cover the gap.

Bill NY's use of foam tape also allows for movement without adhesive problems.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I were putting a hard panel on a wall in an RV, I would leave room for a little expansion at the corners. The aluminum corner angle sold for that purpose would cover the gap.

Bill, I think you are right. Now that I've got everything torn out again I will try to do a little better job of planning.

As an asside, it's amazing how something can be built and not have one square wall in the entire thing. It seems that by accident they would get at least one side square.

W4JDZ

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I've used slats for my joiner pieces. They come in wood and plastic. Here is what my bathroom looks like. Just a thought.

And for the ceiling, and ceiling edge, I used 5/4 wooded planks.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Very nice Bill. I love wood. It adds warmth to an RV.

W4JDZ

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
They make fake type wooden slats that might go well in a moisture laden setting. If you use proper gaping between your pieces I don't see why it wouldn't work for you. The slats will allow a decent gap.

As you can tell by the images, I elected to go with half pieces of paneling with a chair rail molding. Could something like that, with the Stabilit .090 In. FRP Wall Panel, work for you in the bathroom?

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
It looks like it would. Also, by cutting them in half it should make it much easier to handle / install. As I said - she ain't real square. I appreciate the ideas.

W4JDZ