Forums    General Discussions    I'm sick!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

I'm sick!
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of DougZ
posted
I have been working on the bathroom of my sticks and staples travel trailer for about a month. A leak turned everything to mush behind the wall. After weeks of rebuilding the walls I was ready for the covering. I went to Lowes and talked to one of their techies in the wall board department. I told him what I was doing and he said they had just the thing for me. It was a vinyl type wall board. It is 100% moisture proof and will not mildew. I bought 3 sheets and thought I had the problem whipped. I cut the sheets to size and glued all the base trim in place. I dry fit all the sections and it was perfect. I then started gluing the panels in place. They looked great. I was happier than you can imagine. I had followed the instructions and the result was better than I had hoped. Today the temperature got into the low 90s which means it was probsbly close to 100 in the trailer. I went in this evening to do some clean up and looked at the walls. The vinyl had warped everywhere it wasn't glued. It was starting to look like the corrigation in cardboard. It swelled up beyond belief. I was so mad I ripped it all out and now it's laying out in the rain. I am just sick and don't know what to do now. I'm thinking of boarding up the bathroom and forgetting it. GRRRRR

head bang

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Doug: Ruptured pipe or just humidity ???.......

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Carl, It was the heat. This stuff just got soft I guess. The sticker on the sheet says it's 100% water proof so all I can figure is it got soft and expanded. I know it gets on the plus side of 110 degrees during the day.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Could the glue you used have reacted with the panel?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Doug,

This is why they put on vinyl siding with a loose nail in a slot. There must be room for expansion. Could you tile the surface that's there?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I could tile it and would like to, but I was afraid of flexing and grout cracking. Is there a secret to it?

W4JDZ

Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Just a thought. This product is installed in your home. You go on vaction for two weeks. For economy reasons you turn off your water(safety)and the air conditioner($$)The house gets to 110 + degrees Remember Doug,I live about 30 miles South of you and I'm familiar with the heat and I do go away and shut the house down. If this happened to me I'd be in Lowes in a NY minute talking to the "Store Manager" to at least get reimbursed for the cost of material...........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
I had a roof skin on my popup do the same thing when it got hot outside. The vinyl would warp and the glue couldn't hold it down. The skin would stick back down after it cooled down.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I could tile it and would like to, but I was afraid of flexing and grout cracking. Is there a secret to it?

Doug,

The way to get the tile to work is a) make sure you have a solid, scuffed up surface to mount to, b) use as small a tile as you find ascetically pleasing (this allows more flex-ion), c) use latex Thin-set and Epoxy grout. If you can't find it at Lowes or HD, get these products at a proper tile store. The result will be a tile that will flex far more than any flexing or expansion your trailer can achieve. I also suggest you buy a cheap tile saw when at Lowes, they really make the job easier and more professional and once you see how easy it is, you will be looking for tile projects everywhere.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
Most advice from Lowes / Home Depot is worth exactly what you paid for it...(nothing).

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chrisW:
Most advice from Lowes / Home Depot is worth exactly what you paid for it...(nothing).

Exactly! My bad for not thinking of that. I usually look for one of the older guys that may have been a builder / plumber / craftsman. THEY can help. These young techies thay have don't
know which end of the hammer to hold on to.

W4JDZ

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Tim&Gayle
posted Hide Post
I was going to use that same stuff from HD a nice thin sheet for my celing mybe not such a good idea now was going to cut it and hold it in with screws with small either metal or rubber washers
any other idea's ?????

alex my grandson
we snuck away over the
holidays for a little fun

Posts: 89 | Location: orlando florida | Member Since: 04-23-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Doug,
I feel your pain. I am trying to put new flooring in the Barth. I wanted to put the sticky floor vinyl tile in & many tell me it is going to work well. Even the carpet people who say they had it installed in their campers before they sold it said it looked great. But how does it hold up a year from now, 5 yrs. Well that is all well & good except when I call the manufacturer Armstrong, Konecto etc. they tell me they will not guarantee the install in a camper because of the extreme hot/cold conditions. Their glues won't hold up. Ours is under roof but the temps are still extreme. Before the trip to Milford I wanted the floor to look half decent so I painted my floor where I had pulled up the carpet in the bathroom & kitchen & it looks pretty good. Didn't cost a penny. I'm still doing my research & using it as is until I decide. Just hang in there & you'll figure it out.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim&Gayle:
I was going to use that same stuff from HD a nice thin sheet for my ceiling maybe...
any other idea's ?????
I used a sheet of white dry eraser board on my pull down bed and fastened it with double sided tape. That was 7 years ago and it looks fantastic. No sagging, no deterioration and it cleans up easily. I see no reason why you couldn't use this as a ceiling material.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Jim, I put the sticky tiles down in the TT and it is holding up good. I pulled up the carpet and put down a layer of 3/8 Plywood. I measured and made sure that each piece of plywood was exactly the right size for several tiles. This takes a little time and "dry laying" the tile and plywood. I glued the plywood down and then took countersunk screws and fastened the plywood too. Be sure to check screw length so you don't go through and into any tanks. I filled the screws and sanded them smooth. I then put the tile down with just a thin bead of gorilla glue around the edge. I had 2 edges pop up and glued them and they are fine. I still have to caulk around the perimeter against the walls, but it looks great and is holding up well.

W4JDZ