1994 Barth Regal 36' - remodeling advice
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
This helps me understand torque and HP:

Horsepower
Because an engine's horsepower number is a function of both torque and revolutions per minute (RPM), the engine's peak horsepower occurs where torque is the highest at a given RPM (horsepower = torque x RPM / 5,252). Torque is the amount of force an engine produces per RPM.
Torque
As a basic rule, electric motors produce their maximum torque at or below 1 RPM, and diesels produce theirs between 900 and 1,800 RPM. The bigger the diesel engine, the lower its peak torque.
Efficiency
Electric motors tend to be most efficient either at or just past their horsepower peak, and diesels are most efficient at or just past their torque peak. This characteristic makes electric motors best for situations that require peak horsepower for extended periods (like endurance or powerboat racing), and diesels better for towing.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bigger the diesel engine, the lower its peak torque

How 'bout 5.5 million lbs of torque at 102 rpm? Eeker

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Horsepower gets you away from a stop without a toad real quick as you go through the gears, using all of your power band.

Torque gets you up the hill pulling a toad without losing speed or rowing it along with the shift lever.

Oversteer means your back end slides out if you go around the corner too fast.

Understeer means your front end refuses to go where you point it, and just plows.

If you have neither oversteer of understeer, you have a perfectly balanced vehicle that gets through the twisties in perfect four-wheel drifts, but, in a MH, your roll center will be too high and you will tip over. Frowner

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
The Duramax has developed into a great engine, but our intrepid leaders do not like diesel and have suspended production for 6 months or maybe for good. I would look at the Cummins if the fit would work. There are lots of reasonable performance parts available.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Bill.......

Can you please take our motorhome off the "For Sale" forum. It looks like we have decided to do a remodel inside to try and pick up some more sleeping areas.

Does anyone know of any company/individual that they would recommend to do the refurbish? Saw some in Florida, Indiana, and Washington state was hoping to find one a little closer to home!

I usually take the Barth for a cruise every 3 weeks or so to keep things humming. Was in there yesterday and thought.....we can probably make this happen....so we'll see.

Thanks Again!

Chuck

Thanks for your help!

1994 36' Regal
GM 502 Fuel Injected Supercharger
Chevy Chassis
Data Tag Number:: 9406 3913 36FC 1B

Posts: 27 | Location: Delaware | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck M:
Does anyone know of any company/individual that they would recommend to do the refurbish? Saw some in Florida, Indiana, and Washington state was hoping to find one a little closer to home!
Moved to General Discussion and retitled for continuation of discussions.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know of any company/individual that they would recommend to do the refurbish?

Glad to here you're sticking with the clan.

Being in Delaware, I would look to the coast where you may find a good boat builder. Either that or a good finish carpenter.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck M:
It looks like we have decided to do a remodel inside to try and pick up some more sleeping areas.

This is probably a good decision. Floor plan is really the most important thing in a MH if you have a good idea of what you want. I have modified ours somewhat, and we couldn't be happier.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys......

Came across this company up by Allentown, PA. I think I am going to drive up and discuss with these guys what I am thinking. Don't know if you guys ever heard of them....they are also under Walker Coach, Inc.

Could be a Barth with one large slide or possibly dual slides........will see....stay tuned.

http://busconversion101.com/slide_outs.htm

1994 36' Regal
GM 502 Fuel Injected Supercharger
Chevy Chassis
Data Tag Number:: 9406 3913 36FC 1B

Posts: 27 | Location: Delaware | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
know if you guys ever heard of them....they are also under Walker Coach, Inc.

I know them by reputation - from my MCI days. They are certainly well known and respected, but I suspect expensive. If you are serious about a slide, they would be worth every penny.

I'll caution that the slide will probably cost you $10K or better and will add very little to the value of you rig economically. I too have wrestled with the concept, but came to the conclusion it would be far more sensible to tow a toy box trailer if I really needed the room. Wouldn't your kids like their own cabana?

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I know nothing more than what I read...

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...=389106622#389106622

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a quick internet search and Walker Coach is also known as Next Level Coach, both owned by a Sam Walker.

Next Level Coach, Inc.
Main Ofc. 610-767-8000

Never heard the allegations in the bus world, but that doesn't mean much. We were not nearly as connected as the Barth world is.

posted Hide Post
Hold the fort....there's this on www.busconversions.com

... My name is George P. Dausch IV, and I am the owner of Next Level Coach, Inc., a Maryland corporation registered to do business in the State of Pennsylvania.
I purchased the furnishings, fixtures, assets, and intangibles of Walker Coach through a private sale of the Federal Bankruptcy Court when the company was placed into Chapter 7. I also made restitution to the clients deemed harmed in the criminal case, as Mr. Walker is as close to penniless and homeless as possible. Since that time, I have also acquired the real estate that Mr. Walker owned and used to operate his company. ...

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

I don't know how close the Annapolis MD area is for you, but there's a man in Deale MD (20mi South of Annapolis on western shore of Bay) that is very well known in the region for his boat carpentry, furniture and cabinet making...seems like there's no challenge he can't turn into an art piece....he's good....problem is, he knows it Frowner

I would think motorhome mods would present more square corners than he's accustomed to and be a piece
of cake.....

If interested: Buster Phipps, Deale, MD, ph: 410-867-4230....Tell'em he was recommended by
John "Mac" MacKibben, Capt. UAL-ret. (boyhood friend) I'm told ya need a connection to get your
foot in the door Wink

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Are you wanting the bunk beds for teen agers? A used popup tent is easy to pull and set up. Also easy to sell when you no longer need it. I love the layout you have already.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post