Tools
Reply To This Topic

81 glassnose
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
Just picked up an 81 glassnose 28'. Wondering if the brick linoleum interior is original or after. Anything else I should know would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited July 13, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited July 14, 2004).]

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Danny, welcome to the website and welcome to the Barth family...

This model was termed the Euro and there were actually some sales in Europe which was the intent. In 1982 Barth sent a bunch of these to Iraq. I can't remember the number but I am thinking it was around 150 of them. Bill Barth told me that they had overtime all year long that year.

These were expensive coaches and had the top of the line interiors. I was told by Bill Barth that some of these had leak problems where the nose came in contact with the metal frame, however, I have talked to maybe five owners with no problems what so ever. If this is the length you are looking for it should do well for a long time.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a rig that was advertised in "RVTraderonline" several months ago. I doubt that there's two of them.

This isn't your typical RV interior. It must be either a custom order from the factory, or something done later by someone with an unusual sense of interior design.

Examining the corners and edges of the brick-pattern stuff might give you a clue as to whether it's original, or an addition. If it continues behind the cabinet work, it might be original. If it stops at the edge of the cabinets, it was probably added later.
If you can lift a corner to see what's behind it, that might be a clue too. If it's not bare wood, that also suggests an add-on.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Roy, did you see Maury's Euro at Quartzsite?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
No I didn't, Bill, we made such a quick turnaround we only got into one rig. The good Lord willin' an' the crick don't rise, we'll make the whole scene at Quartzsite next time.

I've finished 30 items on a do-list of 45 things needed to get the Barth in tip-top condition, but for every two I complete, I add one more. At least I'm gaining on it.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
After hearing from olroy, I wemt back and investigated the brick finish a little more thoroughly. It is definately after market, but was installed very well. It's a thick, textured wallpaper that was done with the trim out. Sounds rather tacky but it makes the coach feel like a hunting cabin, so we've named it "The Lodge". I'll try to get a good pic of the interior so you can see for yourselves. Danny Z

Posts: 3477 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Boy that brick must add a ton to the GVW.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Dave, I hope you don't think you're the first to come up with that line! DZ

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Maybe not, but I was the first one here....ha ha

------------------

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It is a common misperception that the Glassnose was made by Barth. It was, in reality, made by the Skoda factory in Czechoslovakia, with intentions of marketing it in Russia as a "Glasnost".

Due to the political implications of the name, it was a marketing dud, and was renamed the Euro, with hopes of marketing it in Europe. They even made a raised-roof version for Margaret Thatcher so her bouffant would not hit the ceiling. She and her secret consort, Enoch Powell, used it as a clandestine love nest.

However, "Euro", was also an unfortunate choice of name, as the European common market currency of the same name was already in its conception stage, and Mrs Thatcher wanted nothing to do with it, nor did Mr Powell, as it was not British. As a result, Barth bought the remaining inventory and rebadged them as Barths. They turned out to be pretty good coaches. However, a deal could not be reached on the tooling, as the East German Trabant factory had already taken it and begun production on a lighter version. Their in-house powerplant proved inadequate, so they embarked on a lightening process, which consisted mainly of thinner fiberglass and aluminum. Even with those measures, the stretched Trabant chassis was unable to handle the weight and high G force cornering forces in the Swabian Alps. Many broke in half while parked. Those that did not suffer chassis failure ended up considerably foreshortened as the result of inadequate brakes. Again, lifted from the Trabant sedan.

A later version used the Trabant engine to power the generator, with a Hanomag diesel powering the coach, but the poor little Trabant engine was not even up to the task of powering the generator. There were a number of fatalities involving generator use. It was never disclosed whether they were due to pollution inhalation or homicides resulting over disputes over noise pollution. There were plans to produce the Euro in a plant in Ulan Bator, but financing was a problem. In anticipation of production, Tannu Tuva issued a commemorative stamp with a picture of a Tuvinian (Euro) on it. These stamps are prized by collectors today.

The Trabant generator lives on as a Generac today. So whenever you are annoyed by a noisy Generac, remember it is a small part of Barth history.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
This is the absolute truth...ya

Some of the British models were used for bangers and mash wagons and later sold in the US for less than $100 because they couldn't get the smell out...

Or was that a Corvette?

------------------

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Bill & Dave - Have you guys been into that B.C. bud that screwed up the Wright engineer in the "What do you think this is" post?

Danny Z - We're not all nuts, only about one in four. And it's not too hard to figure out who are the ones.

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
It's also easy to see when I've encountered a bunch of pretty cool people. I'll be stickin around and keeping in touch. You all have made me feel pretty good about my Euro.