Forums    General Discussions    aluminum tire caps?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

aluminum tire caps?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Quote;
"When a manufacturer puts a cap on their valve stems, they use plastic, not aluminum – for a reason. Plastic caps on brass stems protects your wheels. Aluminum and brass is a recipe for disaster. When they overheat or become exposed to too much humidity, the aluminum and the brass oxidize. This causes the tire caps to fuse onto the tires."

...would this apply to our wheels??

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I would argue the reason the mfr uses plastic is they are CHEEEEP.
Here are my thoughts: hmm

The function of a valve stem cap is to:

1) Seal out exterior dirt and moisture from getting into the valve.

2) Prevent any air leakage from the tire should the valve leak.

3) Look good?

In my experience the plastic ones often do not have perfect threads and do not seal around the end of the valve. The metal caps I have used have much more precise threads and a rubber oring/gasket inside to provide a perfect seal for water, dirt and air. I have never had leaks with metal caps.
As for "when they overheat or become exposed to too much humidity... the caps fuse onto the tires." What? confusion
If you get the valve stems that hot you've got way more problems than fused caps. Boiling brake fluid, bearing failures, blown tires, leaking stem valves, etc.
As for humidity, maybe grease the threads a bit? (You can get chrome or brass caps to avoid corrosion.)
Meanwhile, how long has it been since you checked the pressure in the tires if the stems are corroded??? nono

I strongly recommend the metal caps with internal gasket.
They seal much more reliably. (I think they look better too.)
You can get them with the little prongs to remove stem valves. Plastic is junk.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Be nice to know the source of the quote as Steve is so right.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
On my Chevy Tracker I did have two caps corrode , wouldn't come off had to replace stems. I figured they were made in China.

Ralph Glover
1976 27' Barth
P-30 454
1998 Tracker Toad

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I could easily see the aluminum corroding and causing problems. For sure some antisieze or lube would be good on the threads. Aluminum caps would be my least favorite metal but still better than plastic.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I do prefer the old standard steel with stem remover end. I miss the plastic caps I got for my bicycle stems around 1950 that were the red Standard Gasoline Crowns, they had the gasket seal in the top.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post