Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Photo Bucket
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted
This site has a problem that needs fixed. I understand the reason for photo bucket being used, But it is not working. At this time I am worried that we may lose all archived photos. I am on several other sites that posting photos dose not seam to be a problem. Bill has done such a great job in running this site that I hate to see this problem not being resolved. I know nothing about how the site works or the added cost of storage of photos. This may be a problem that is being worked on and I sure do not mean to step on any ones toes. I appreciate the work and time that has made this site what it is. This posting of photos witch adds greatly to this site just sucks right now and I hope a fix can be had. Confused

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I have thought the same thing for some time, but not being an administrator, I've kept quiet. Surely there has to be a way to just click load a photo without going through the present maze that rarely works anyway. Any motorhome site is very visual, from showing off to demonstrating repairs and improvements, and we are missing out on a very important advantage of being an internet site by limiting posts to text.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hi Danny, I will add the following. I also share feelings about the importance of photos on a website. The main reason Barthmobile uses Photobucket is cost. Yes we could post pictures directly to our site but the server costs go way up and as this site is largely run by voluntary donations it is difficult to manage.

Photobucket is known for user difficulty, it didn't start that way but their directors are being forced to increase revenue. Photobucket has experienced a lot of outage time and is well known thru the "cloud" industry.

Loss of archives, YES this is a big concern that Bill NY and I both have. Transferring from one cloud service to another is not a simple matter and requires a ton of work. There are web services that can perform this service but again, very expensive and it takes time.

I can assure you that Bill is working trying to sort this all out but he has been really buried with his main work, very difficult during this pandemic to get things done. Photobucket has been difficult to work with as well. many excuses but no actions.

Please have patience with us as we try to work thru all these issues

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Ed, I was not sure that I wanted to start this post. I know Bill has a ton on his plate and don't want to add more. Glad you are working with Bill on this. I know Bill will not discuss the financial aspect of this site. I do know that many members would help if asked. Let us members know if we can help in any way. Thanks

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Ed, let's find out how much it would cost to go in another direction, i.e., not Photobucket, put it out to the members and go from there. I really don't think the money will be a problem. Would it be more than $10000/year? Then let's find out who has the time to do it. Bill has to run a business almost single handed. Perhaps he could delegate things to someone. He will always be our leader. We need a retired person who is computer savvy to do it. The Pandemic has made this website even more important in the lives of many of us.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Ed, Is there any thing us members can do to help in fixing this problem. I Know that the support for this site is out there if just asked. There may even be members that have Knowledge in this area who could be an asset for you and Bill. Let us members know if we can .help in any way. Knowing that it is being worked on helps. If you could update us on any progress it would be appreciated. Thanks for your response.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
As one who has posted over a thousand photos to this site, I feel your pain. PB seems to come and go. Sometimes won't accept new photos, sometimes shut down altogether, sometimes only the existing old photos will work.

I have 40+ really great photos from Tim in Denmark. He is doing a remarkable job restoring his Class C. I would love to share them but I have been trying for 2 weeks now. head bang

I am not sure what all the options are. I do worry about losing our archives...Obviously our members (and others) enjoy the photos greatly. (My 454HO engine swap thread has over 60,000 views now). Our archives are unrivaled in the RV world.

Problem is, if we load the photos to another site, they will have new web addresses. All of the PB links in every Barthmobile thread would then be dead ends until someone goes back to EVERY post containing a PB photo link and changes the link address in the post to the new link....

For me alone it would require relinking about a 1000 photos in as many posts....

I would suggest however that we find another site for new photos and then begin transferring the old ones if we can.

Very frustrating. Deadhorse

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We've got to start somewhere. I'm old and computer illiterate, but I can send money.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
I'm not as Old , but will happy increase donations to help pay for the site . On the Wanderlodge Owners Group site , posting pictures is encouraged . Without pictures , it didn't happen . Having the pictures within the threads makes it very easy . Randy only recently began accepting donations , which many of us are happy to oblige .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
But, how 'old' is 'OLD'? Carl Flack doesn't count. He's beyond OLD ROTFLMAO

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
A technology friend suggested imgur for photo sharing and storage. Anyone ever tried that?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you can find a college kid to do the work. I donated all my dads QSL cards to the museum in Vienna and some students endlessly scanning all these old amateur radio postcard style QSL cards into the computer to be preserved and categorized. Some are great artwork, others a time piece. I kept a few special ones, like the expedition to Antarctica and some with personal meaning.
But maybe some kid needs a summer job??

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
What a great idea!!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B