Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

sights, and sounds
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My eyes would like to be used for reading, but nothing appears. My ears are picking up snoring sounds. HELLO! HELLO. Is anyone there?. Lord help us Barthmobile members.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Carl Flack>
posted
Dale...We're still here. I spent most of today driving Mary around for her to furnish THE TOY She wanted new bed linens, wall clock, paper towel dispenser(had to be wood and cherry stained),you know, all the lady stuff. So, since it was a balmy 72 degrees and it's the children,s inheritance money,why not? Tomorrow we'll take advantage of another 70+ day and have fun in the sun. I really do have sympathy for those of you who are snow/cold bound with frozen batteries cracked pipes'etc. I better be careful or God may get even and dump a load of snow on SW Florida Till later.....carl

THE TOY 88 33'Regal Coach #3448

------------------

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
We're still around Dale, but like Carl, I've been busting my stones trying to get the rig in shape while we're living in it. Fortunately, we're in Yuma under mostly warm and clear, but open skies, and parked on crushed rock.

Yesterday, I made an appointment to get my fuel tank lowered, and repaired to solve a leak in the topside plumbing that has stained the tank bottom, and keeps us surrounded with the scent of gasoline. I also re-set the toilet to solve a long standing leak. Previous owner dropped a c-note to get this done, but I doubt he got his money's worth. Some idiot mechanic had set the toilet on the rubber seal, with a steel washer between the toilet and the seal. Can't keep much water where it belongs that way.

Today, I crawled under the front end. What I found was mostly good. No Bilsteins, but a pair of Super-Steer bellcranks, and a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer. I thought the thing handled uncommonly well on the trip here.

I also replaced about 40 rivets, broken or missing in the skin around the front cap, and re-set the front several feet of trim on both sides. Someone had tried to use screws to replace missing rivets. It didn't work. I used ordinary aluminum pop rivets. Maybe not the best, but it's what was available.

Not too shabby a couple days work for an old guy who needs a week to do a normal half-day's work.

Got a million other things, mostly small, and the interior teak needs a lot of work to bring it back. I'll save that for summer when we're home.

Previous owners have spent a lot of money on big stuff, but let the little things go. For example, this rig is 14 years old, and I don't think the screen in the bathroom vent has been cleaned sice 1990. I might get to that tomorrow.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Maybe this should be on tech talk but since I see it mentioned here again would someone explain to me what a bellcrank is? I have asked a couple of mechanics including the parts guy at our local Chevy dealer and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Another old Barth owner freezing in the Ozarks!

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I ditto that Bill. I was talking with someone recently that they had problems with their Barth tracking on the road. But they went to this Henderson's suspension place out in Oregon or Washington and they replaced the bell cranks and not it is like driving a Cad...

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Dale, I'm crawling out of hibernation to write the post - GRRRR. Winter has us in her grip. Frequently below zero and lots of wind.

Since I'm frustrated and can't work on the Barth, I'm tearing up my living room for a big renovation. My wife has the full Monty planned. Complete paint job with a faux paint scheme below a new chair rail and new baseboard and when that's finished she said I can rip out the carpet and put in a new hardwood floor.

I'm looking forward to finishing this job. However, I'm more interested in unwrapping the Barth and getting back to the reno work there. Spring is coming, spring is coming....

Now I'm headed back to the cave - GRRR.

Bill G

[This message has been edited by goodwinw (edited January 21, 2004).]

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill G., your a good man. My bride of 43 plus years learned along time ago that will try about anything around the house and yard, and I bet you fall into that area too. You have the background to do such, and I am sure often enjoy doing such. I know that after I have helped I feel better about working on my stuff. My bride pitches in and does a lot for me too. Got to work as a TEAM, and I am sure you two do. Have fun Bill. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Dale, after seeing the work you did on the Barth emblem you gave to Dave, I think you're a bit modest. That was skillfully done.

I have had much opportunity in my life to use tools so I am comfortable building, repairing, etc.

If all goes well, we can swap stories at the rally.

Bill G.

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill G., automotive nuts call it "BENCH RACING". Yes we wil swap stories, and I have a lot of DON'T do as I DID tales. Like DON'T trust a DRUNK to steer you into a camp site. Dale